Newbie Tank Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimball2014

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All,

I am completely newbie and need some advice. I currently have 5G tank with 25w heater, internal filter and a small air stone with air pump.

I also cleaned gravels and decos and put them inside. I used the water conditioner when I poured the tap water. I have been running it for the last 48 hours. The temperature is now steady at 75F and water is clean.

Based on my research, there are fishless cycle and fish-in cycle. I want to try fish-in cycle because I bought the API test kit and would like to monitor the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels while cycling. I also learned that how the nitrogen cycle works.

I am thinking to stock 2 danios since they are hardy fish and many people have used them for cycling. Should I also add a red cherry shrimp and algae eater(?) (am not so sure but I heard that there's a fish that clean the tank??)

Could you please advise what to stock? Any advices would be greatly appreciated! Again, I am completely newbie and tried to do some homework before posting a thread but I might have missed something. So let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Shrimp are very sensitive. Wait till the tank has been up and running some before adding any. Danios are a good hardy species to cycle with.

NO MATTER WHAT THE LFS SAYS algae eaters are never required for a healthy tank. the only good one for your size tank would be an Otocinclus. They stay small and do a good job. Like shrimp though they can be sensitive so add them later once it's set up.

I'd suggest a Betta for a 5g or a shrimp tank. Tanks that size are very limited to stocking. MAYBE a school of harlequin rasporas.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Shrimp are very sensitive. Wait till the tank has been up and running some before adding any. Danios are a good hardy species to cycle with.

NO MATTER WHAT THE LFS SAYS algae eaters are never required for a healthy tank. the only good one for your size tank would be an Otocinclus. They stay small and do a good job. Like shrimp though they can be sensitive so add them later once it's set up.

I'd suggest a Betta for a 5g or a shrimp tank. Tanks that size are very limited to stocking. MAYBE a school of harlequin rasporas.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thank you! Is Betta pretty active fish? I am setting up this aquarium for my 4 years old son and it seems like he likes the active fish :) Can Betta be used for cycling?

Bettas are active, they are a favorite of mine and many others, especially young children. Bettas are very hardy from what I've seen, so I think you could cycle with them as long as you keep ammonia nitrites and nitrates in check. If you make sure to watch them you should be fine. You could pick up some shrimp and put them in the five with him, after the tank is established. But if you have a more aggressive betta he may not tolerate tank mates and might eat them. Some bettas are like that, and some bettas will be fine with any fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have ghost shrimp with my Betta. They are considered "feeder fish" but are only $0.39 at PetSmart. Live span of 6 months and my Betta has a very hard time even seeing them because they are clear.

ADF are another peaceful option. Never heard a case of Betta and ADF not working. ADF have really poor eyesight so hand feeding or spot feeding with a turkey baster is a must to ensure they see the food. Other then feeding they are really cool I'm sure a 4 year old would love aquatic frogs swimming about in there.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Also if you do choose a Betta...

When you go to the LFS and pick one, shake the cup a little(if they are in one). If the Betta moves around a lot and acts like he has some personality then he is a good, active, healthy Betta. If the Betta really doesn't move or sits at the bottom I would skip over him because he is likely ill.

And if you choose ADF...

Make sure they have webbed feet. ACF and ADF I've heard look very similar. The difference is ACF get bigger and have been known to shred fins because of their claws. ADF a have nice little webbed feet and are harmless :)

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425821156.383873.jpg

My ADF

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425821194.406977.jpg

My veil tail Betta.

Keep them in a 10g but I also have 4adf and quite a bit of shrimp and still have some room left.

You could do
-1 Betta
-2 ADF
-5 or so ghost/Amano shrimp

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks guys! I and my son went to petco his morning and get a betta. Now the fish has been in there for about 6 hours now. The water is a little cloudy and it doesn't go away. I checked the ammonia and it reads 0.25ppm at this moment.

At first, it looked like the air bubbles and water flow from the filter was a little strong for him so I turned down the water flaw to its minimum and lowered the air bubbles too.

However, he seems to hide under the internal filter and back of the filter. He doesn't like to come out and explore the tank. =( I dont think the water flow is too much for him since I lowered it.

Is he just shy? and when should I start feeding him? I haven't fed him yet.

He needs to settle. Give him time and he will become friendly. You could try feeding him, but he might not eat until he feels more comfortable. Make sure to swap out water when you detect ammonia.

He needs to settle. Give him time and we will become friendly. You could try feeding him, but he might not eat until he feels more comfortable. Make sure to swap out water when you detect ammonia.

Agree with this. He will settle into his home and come out more.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ok, I think I am having some issues with my heater. I have 25W heater (my tank is 5G) and the water temp is around at 72-74. The heater itself turns on/off even though I set it to 85F. Is it because my living room temperature is too low (around 61-64F during winter)? If I get 50W heater, do you think it will raise the water temp? I would like to keep my water temp at around 78-80F.

Ok, it has been 3 days since I got my betta. He's now doing much better but still not eating much. I have seen him eat but he spits it out right away. Is this normal? I gave him the flakes made for betta fish. I will give him a couple more try and if he still doesn't eat, I would like to get him some new food. Any suggestions? Also, the ammonia level ranges from 0 to 0.25ppm and no nitirites yet. It has been 3 days and the water was kinda cloudy so I did around 20% water change. My understanding is that the nitirites has to spike up (and ammonia should be around 0.5ppm) in order for beneficial bacterias to grow. Why doesn't nitrites go up? Any ideas? Should I not change the water till the ammonia goes up to maybe 0.5ppm?

Ok, it has been 3 days since I got my betta. He's now doing much better but still not eating much. I have seen him eat but he spits it out right away. Is this normal? I gave him the flakes made for betta fish. I will give him a couple more try and if he still doesn't eat, I would like to get him some new food. Any suggestions? Also, the ammonia level ranges from 0 to 0.25ppm and no nitirites yet. It has been 3 days and the water was kinda cloudy so I did around 20% water change. My understanding is that the nitirites has to spike up (and ammonia should be around 0.5ppm) in order for beneficial bacterias to grow. Why doesn't nitrites go up? Any ideas? Should I not change the water till the ammonia goes up to maybe 0.5ppm?

I use NLS pellets for my Betta, occasionally 1 will be too big for his mouth but he loves them.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

He is probably just getting used to his home. Mine likes to eat his food and spit out multiple times before finishing it.

Back
Top Bottom