Newbie to Freshwater with a couple of Q's...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had a old nano reef that I am thinking about converting to fresh water and taking it to the office.

the tank is a AGA 20high.

I would really like something that is a little out of the norm to put into the tank. I would like something that is somewhat active, but if it is something that is more interesting than normal I could deal with a not-so-active fish. I know that a 20 gallon isn't really that big of a tank, so if I have to go with something not out of the norm that's okay too.

I already have a filter for the tank. it's a millennium 3000 so it pumps 295 gallons per hour. Is that enough? is it to much? I have 3 millennium 1000s sitting around the house not in use as well. I also have a coralife PC fixture that I would like to keep on the tank(I like the color of the light). It's a 65 watt 50/50 bulb. Would that be to much light for the tank, or is having a lot of light on a fresh water tank okay?

I know a good bit about saltwater aquariums, but not a ton about fresh water. I kept oscars when I was younger, but I pretty much just let them hang out and gave them some gold fish a few times a week. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!!!!!

if im not mustaken thats over 3 wpg its to high for a freswater tabk unless u want to inject co2 and have life plants.
tetras are real nice fish and in a 20 gallon u could have a school of 15-20 depending on size and if its planted

i was going to read your message, but the avatar won't let me... :lol: .
anyway, out of the way ideas -
dwarf puffers,
shell-dwellers from lake tanganyika

i'm sure others will chime in with more ideas.
the filter seems a bit too strong. about 5-10x volume of tank is ok.
don't know much about lights though :oops:.

The 50/50's only have half the usable spectrum for freshwater plantlife (of all kinds including algae) the atinic light does do a little but very little twoard plant growth.. so you have about 32.5 watts in your 20gallon of CF.. your likely going to need some low light plants to keep algae from being a problem but not so much light that youll need CO2.. as far as stocking is conserned its about 5X as much as SW so the fish can be that much bigger, that many more, or a combination of the two.. also temperment and similar water condition/peramiter needs should be considered.. Hope this helps..
low light plants...
http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.php?category=1&filter_by=2

Out of the norm - how about blind cave fish , they are active and they don't have any eyes, just eye sockets. they only cost about $2 each

Back
Top Bottom