Newbie to the site and world of fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andyb2683

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I’m a newbie to the site and we have just purchased a brand new, shiny Aquavista panoramic water aquarium for our office. All of us are novices in terms of looking after fish, so we want to make sure we do everything correctly. It’s now on the wall and we are just about ready to go. We have been to the local aquarium and got some advice from the people there and our plans are:

1) Clean the tank with a clean cloth and fresh water (it may have some glue based resin in there from the build) – sypher the water out
2) Fill the tank with fresh, clean water (also using a product to counter the chlorine in the water). Also put in some decorations and an airstone.
3) Leave the tank to settle for 5 days
4) Put one breed of fish in, followed by 2-3 others over the next few days

Is there anything there that people would change, or do differently? And more importantly, is there anything we have forgotten?!?

On a separate note, we also got given a smaller aquarium (an Aquavista 500). Unfortunately this doesn’t come with an automatic fish feeder, and in our office I fear for the fish! Is there any chance that there are a species of fish that doesn’t require regular feeding?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Before you do anything you need to cycle your tank first. Set up the tank, just like you were told, minus step four and five, and go out and buy the API master test kit (about 30$) Follow the instructions on the box, test the water and feed the tank fish food everyday. When your ammonia hits 0, and your nitrates are reading, you're ready for fish. It should take about 2 or more weeks for your tank to be properly set up. You got really lucky that you found this site! Your LFS (local fish store) can really mess up your tank and you'll wind up spending more money then you need to!

Welcome to AA!

I would recommend checking out about the nitrogen cycle, it really helps. Heres a link:Cycle your salt tank (Ignore the title of it, it works for both kinds of tanks.)

Once your tank is cycled, you can consider adding a few fish. But, since your tank is so small (6.6 gallon), you are limited to your options of stocking.

Most fish can go a day or two without a feeding, but it is good to at least feed once a day.

Just an idea, but you could set up a chart or something by the tank your worried about, and when people stop bye, they can check to see if anyone fed them.

Welcome to AA read up on cycling your tank that's veryimportant and will save money and headaches later

Just to add what everyone has said. Imo I think automatic fish feeders are satan. I had one awhile back and it did not do vary well vs hand feeding. When u hand feed your fish you can A. Make sure they are eating and B. Establish a relationship with them. When the see you the will know its feeding time and will jump for joy. Also I would do some reading on how to acclimate them. Google is your best friend :)

Agreed
If you want to be successful and have a happy tank with no daily water changes, cycle the tank first, specially if will be in an office, I don't see you guys cycling with fish and making daily water changes at work lol

Back
Top Bottom