Newbie with a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glennfinan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have to say, I found this web page out of desperation with a problem I was having with my Ph, and after getting all the great advice, and then poking around on the site and seeing all the good advice, it has made me realize how ignorant I really am about this hobby! :? My question is I have a 50 gal tank, about a month old and when we were setting it up, we decided to put some live plants in for the heck of it. One of the first 2 I tried is still alive(it has survived my lack of knowledge and looks quite good) The other died a horrible death. I have bought another and put it in but it is not really fairing very well. The leaves are turning brown and decaying. I am looking for a resource where I can read and learn about taking care of live plants. Web or book would be appreciated. I have looked at the "Sticky" before this forum, and it helped but I need more. Any advice?

Glennfinan

I suggest www.plantgeek.net they have profiles on most plants...including a list on non-aquatic plants that are frequently sold as aquarium plants.

A good book for beginners and expierenced plant people is by Peter Hiscock. I think it's called the Encyclopedia of aqarium plants. It's a great read, lots of info, profiles...etc.

Pablo Tepoot's Aquarium Plants : The Practical Guide is pretty good. Lots of good pictures but pretty light on text...intentionally. He has included a set of symbols for each type of plant he has pictured that give info on light levels, etc.

Ines Scheurmann's Aquarium Plants Manual in an informative little paperback with some very good information on general aquatic plant growing and info on about 40 different aquarium plants.

It is important, as trenac has already mentioned, that we have an idea of how many watts of light you've got on your aquarium. That will help us give you better information on what kinds of plants you'll likely have success with.

Oh...and WELCOME to Aquarium Advice! :D

Back
Top Bottom