Newbie's 29 Gallon Tank!! Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

29gallonNEWB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and wanted to drop in to ask all the vets a few questions.

First off, I just purchased a 29 gal. tank along with all the necessities. I'm currently doing a fish flake cycle, and wanted to ensure all my ducks were in a row before I start adding fish in a few weeks.

I plan to have an understocked tank in the long run. I know I'm being liberal with my bioload estimations here, but I plan to only keep these fish in the tank:

-2 German Blue Rams
-2 Otocinclus Catfish
-5-7 Lemon Tetras or Cherry Barbs

I plan to introduce the hardiest ones first, so in come the Tetras or Barbs.

In your opinion, which fish would be better (hardier)? Do you see any potential problems with either of these and the GBR's (I'm assuming I don't need to worry about the Otos). Finally, I know a school minimum is 5 or 6, but should I introduce all 5-7 at once? Wouldn't that be a lot of ammonia?

If I can successfully introduce the Tetras or Barbs, should I attempt the GBR's or Otos next?

I have tons of questions, and I wanted to thank everyone in advance for their answers!! :thanks:

If you're fishless cycling your tank should be able to handle the entire school added at once.

I've had both lemon tetras and cherry barbs and they're both incredibly hardy. I would say take your pick. I personally prefer cherry barbs but that's just me.

Your stock looks fine to me. In fact I think you could do a slightly bigger school of fish (8-10) and still be fine.

I would do ottos next and GBR last- always best to add the territorial stuff after everyone else.

^+1

On the note of territorial fish, i did the opposite of that once and to fix the problem i did a massive re-scape to somewhat re-set the territories.

For the otos they do much better in groups of 5+, i originally only bought 2 for my 29 gallon and all they basically did was hide. Upgraded my #'s to 6 and they are far more active. You should also wait a while to add them until your tanks starts really getting some algae build up or they will die.

Thanks guys! Great advice. :)

I'm a little worried about keeping the Otos and GBR's together, not because of aggression or anything, but a lot of sites are saying the Oto's can only go to 79 degrees, where the GBR is 78.8 to 86 degrees. Is it okay to keep the tank at 79 consistently? Any drawbacks?

Also! (I told you I had a lot of questions!! haha) Would there be any drawbacks to switching out the Lemon Tetras/Cherry Barbs for Blue Tetras ? Fin nipping comes to mind, but I can't really find any info.

79-80 would probably work for the otos, it may very well shorted their life span though. I cant think of any drawbacks to switching, always do your research before just picking a cool looking fish though. One of my personal favorite tetras is the cardinal tetras and they an deal with higher temp GBR water.

LED Lighting/ Plants question

When it comes to beginner plants like Java Fern, Anubias...what kind of lighting is required and how do you set up said lighting? Do you buy a glass canopy and just set the light on top of it? Or do you get lighting built into a hood? So confused and apparently the Tetra LED lights I got w/ my tank won't sustain any plant life :( urgh

Thanks guys! Great advice. :)

I'm a little worried about keeping the Otos and GBR's together, not because of aggression or anything, but a lot of sites are saying the Oto's can only go to 79 degrees, where the GBR is 78.8 to 86 degrees. Is it okay to keep the tank at 79 consistently? Any drawbacks?

I've kept Otos for months in my discus tank at 84 degrees. They should be alright.

Caleb

When it comes to beginner plants like Java Fern, Anubias...what kind of lighting is required and how do you set up said lighting? Do you buy a glass canopy and just set the light on top of it? Or do you get lighting built into a hood? So confused and apparently the Tetra LED lights I got w/ my tank won't sustain any plant life :( urgh

Anubias and Java Fern could grow in a dimly lit room...

They are very easy. I wouldn't worry about lighting with them.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom