newbio who needs help with snails! =P

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zelilaa

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im going on a week long trip soon. about a couple weeks after i get back im going for another one. Next weekend i'm getting snails for my tank. What will my snails eat while I'm gone on the trips? I have the 7-day fish feeders for my three dalmatian mollies, but i doubt that feeds the snails. They are supposed to eat fresh fruit. so i put a piece of salad down there and put a rock on it to weigh it down so they can eat that?? I don't know how to feed snails whether im here, and especially not when I'm away. And one last question, I use big gravel pieces. Is that OK for my snails to walk on, or would it hurt or be hard to move over for them? Once I know I will buy a couple. But please let me know soon! Thanks - Zeli:cool:

oh and uh, I want to grow plants in my tank, but i DONT WANT THE SNAILS TO EAT THEM!!! Can i do that, or should i just go snail-less? I really want some snails =(

As for them eating your plants, it depends what kind of snails. Regular pond snails definitely will eat your plants, especially if there's no other food source.
MTS will not, and will feed on any decaying food in your substrate.
Nerite probably wouldn't, but I'm guessing they might if there was no other food source.
You couldn't really leave a piece of lettuce on there for a week I don't think. It would start rotting way before then.
Big garvel I think is ok for snails as long as it's smooth. If it's kind of rough and jagged is when they would have a problem. The MTS may not like big stuff because it would be hard to burrow in (they like to burrow during the day and come out at night).
Hopefully someone with more experience than me will give you some other pointers on feeding & substrate.

EDIT: Of course your other option would be to just hold off on the snails until all your vacations are done with. That would be the easiest option.

Last edited:
It all depends on what snail you want/have. Certainly, it is best to get new livestocks when you are not on vacation, so you are around in case of trouble.

Snails for planted tanks:
1. MTS if you have a sand substrate - so they can stir up the sand, you will never see them, so prob not what you are thinking of.
2. Nerites - Great algae eater. Research them well as there are many different species of nerites (and some non-nerite look alike sold as nerites), not all are suitable. Olive & Zebras have low potential for eating plants. Since they are algae eaters, you don't need to feed them, as long as you have some algae around.
3. Apple snails - One of the "show" snails. The only plant safe apple snail is P. bridgesii. You must learn to ID the snail yourself, as all other apple snails will eat plants .... some (eg caniliculata) are considered aquatic pests ....but might still be sold as bridgesii's or "mystery snails". Incidentally, Bridgesii's eat fish food.<Sinking goldfish pellets is what I use.>
4. Japanese trapdoor snails - low prob. of eating plants.

You can consider all other snails suspects for a planted tank.

Incidentally, I would stay away from those 7-day block feeders ... they tend to foul the water .... You are better off investing in a mechanical feeder that drops food into the water every day or 2. <And a mechanical feeder can drop any food you like (eg algae cubes for pleco or snails).>

most fish are fine a week with out food also. those feeding blocks are a bad idea like jsoong said.

stug is right on. i wouldnt add anything to the tank if you are going out of town.

Im going on a week long trip soon. about a couple weeks after i get back im going for another one. Next weekend i'm getting snails for my tank. What will my snails eat while I'm gone on the trips? I have the 7-day fish feeders for my three dalmatian mollies, but i doubt that feeds the snails. They are supposed to eat fresh fruit. so i put a piece of salad down there and put a rock on it to weigh it down so they can eat that?? I don't know how to feed snails whether im here, and especially not when I'm away. And one last question, I use big gravel pieces. Is that OK for my snails to walk on, or would it hurt or be hard to move over for them? Once I know I will buy a couple. But please let me know soon! Thanks - Zeli:cool:
ok im probably just not going to get plants, and if i do, not get snails. It seems waaayyyy less complicated that way! But uh, one more question remained un-answered. How do I feed the snails, even when I'm here?

Well if you get plants they might have snails in them anyways. There is a way to clear them of the snails, I don't remember what it was. i think it is some type of water/bleach dip. But DONT do that until someone else tells you for sure lol. I dont want you to kill your plants.

I do know there is a method though. You could also throw them in a puffer tank for a while if you have any... >: )

ok im probably just not going to get plants, and if i do, not get snails. It seems waaayyyy less complicated that way! But uh, one more question remained un-answered. How do I feed the snails, even when I'm here?

Well, again, it's going to depend on which type of snail you get. If it's a pretty mature tank, that has been properly cycled, then there should be a decent supply of algae already, which Nerites will quite happily eat up for you.
MTS will eat decaying food, and will basically procreate depending on food availability.
If you want to be absolutely sure thwey're getting some food, you can always throw a piece of zucchini in there (peeled and boiled for about 2minutes). Leave it in for no more than 24hrs, as after that it will start to break down.
Another consideration for you is that snails don't like high nitrates, so keep on top of that. Incidentally, plants would help to keep them in check.

perfect! i'll feed them with zucchini =D i wont be getting any live plants for now. thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom