Next Step for 25g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anne03

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought an Aqueon Premium 25 gallon kit Sunday and set it up Monday. I have 3 Anubia plants and 2 Java ferns in it. I put in 4 catfish pellets and put in the plant food (bottle says to feed the plants once a week). I bought 2 API test kits-one for ammonia and one for nitrates.

Tuesday evening I had an ammonia reading of 0.25 mg and a nitrate reading of about 20.

Wednesday evening I had a lower ammonia reading (between 0.25 and 0) and a higher nitrate reading of close to 40.

I'm surprised the nitrates have already shown up, but maybe that is because of the plants?

How often should I add the pellets? I know if the nitrates shoot up much higher it will be time for a water change.

I'm also having trouble with thermometers. Do the strip thermometers work? Sometimes I'll have three temperatures lit up 78, 80, and 82. At the moment both strip thermometers read 78. Last night I also bought a mercury thermometer that hangs inside the tank. It is saying 84 while the two strip ones are saying 78. Do I need to buy a 4th thermometer?

I have two stocking ideas--#1 cory cats, neon or cardinal tetras and fancy guppies. I'd get the fancy guppies first, (maybe this weekend) then the cory cats (after a week or two) and neon tetras in about a month.

#2 cory cats, platys, and dwarf gouramis. I'd get the platys first (maybe this weekend), then the cory cats and then the dwarf gouramis.

Am I going in the right direction? What do I need to watch out for? I am a little alarmed that both the neon tetras and dwarf gouramis were mentioned on the "fish to think twice about" thread.

Hi and welcome, my replies in blue...

I bought an Aqueon Premium 25 gallon kit Sunday and set it up Monday. I have 3 Anubia plants and 2 Java ferns in it. I put in 4 catfish pellets and put in the plant food (bottle says to feed the plants once a week). I bought 2 API test kits-one for ammonia and one for nitrates.
Sounds good so far. What are you using to dechlorinate the water? Also a nitrite test kit is a must as well as one for PH. What are the catfish pellets for? Do you have fish already? What kind?

Tuesday evening I had an ammonia reading of 0.25 mg and a nitrate reading of about 20.

Wednesday evening I had a lower ammonia reading (between 0.25 and 0) and a higher nitrate reading of close to 40.

I'm surprised the nitrates have already shown up, but maybe that is because of the plants?
The nitrate could be from the plants I guess, the drop in ammonia could be from the plants too although it's hard to say. Have you tested your tap water for ammonia and nitrate? If not you should, just to see if it has any then you'd know that's where they are coming from.

How often should I add the pellets? I know if the nitrates shoot up much higher it will be time for a water change.
Yes you want to keep nitrates <40 but <20 is recommended if there are fish in the tank. Not sure on the pellets; I guess you have fish? What kind (I guess catfish? lol)

I'm also having trouble with thermometers. Do the strip thermometers work? Sometimes I'll have three temperatures lit up 78, 80, and 82. At the moment both strip thermometers read 78. Last night I also bought a mercury thermometer that hangs inside the tank. It is saying 84 while the two strip ones are saying 78. Do I need to buy a 4th thermometer?
The strip thermometers aren't very accurate and are hard to read.I'd just go with what the mercury thermoters says. Is the heater adjustable?

I have two stocking ideas--#1 cory cats, neon or cardinal tetras and fancy guppies. I'd get the fancy guppies first, (maybe this weekend) then the cory cats (after a week or two) and neon tetras in about a month.

#2 cory cats, platys, and dwarf gouramis. I'd get the platys first (maybe this weekend), then the cory cats and then the dwarf gouramis.

Am I going in the right direction? What do I need to watch out for? I am a little alarmed that both the neon tetras and dwarf gouramis were mentioned on the "fish to think twice about" thread.
I think that either stock sounds ok for a 25 gal. SO you don't have fish yet? I'd advise you read up on fish-in and fishless cycling and see which one you'd rather do. THe tank needs to cycle (grow the correct bacteria to consume the ammonia that the fish put out through waste). If you get fish before the tank cycles you'll have to monitor levels daily and do water changes as needed (potentially daily, maybe more than once per day) for up to 6 weeks. There's a link below in my signature called: guide to starting a FW aquarium; the first thing it covers is cycling. Read up on fish-in and fishless and pick one. :)

Thanks!

I'm using API Tap Water Conditioner before adding water to the tank.

Looks like I should go ahead and get the full test kit.

I haven't yet tried testing my tap water for ammonia and nitrates. I'll give it a try.

I know I want to get cory cats, so the pellets are a way to also start the cycling process.

Yes, the heater is adjustable. I'll try turning it down a notch and see if the mercury thermometer measures that change.

I've read a couple of different things on cycling. I was planning to do fishless cycling. I didn't expect the nitrates so quickly so they made me think that the process was going quickly.

I just finished testing my tap water. Ammonia is close to 0 and the nitrates are around 10.

Updates...

Bought a PH test and have very high PH-7.6 or even higher. How much of a concern should that be?

Added a bunch of pellets and those have changed the readings slightly. Nitrates now between 40 and 80 and ammonia between .25 and .5

Finally went out and got some of the Ace Ammonia. I added about 3 mL so we'll see what happens tomorrow!

The guy at Petco recommended putting a dead shrimp in overnight to kickstart the cycling, but my husband and I decided against that idea as we would feel ridiculous buying 1 shrimp (we are vegetarians).

Back
Top Bottom