nitrate confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmyD

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm doing a fishless cycle and nitrites had been off the chart for at least a week and nitrates seemed to be sticking at 2ppm, ammonia was dropping from 4ppm to 0 in 24 hours so i have been re-dosing daily. Today i did a 50% water change and now nitrates are showing between 80 and 160. Can anybody tell me what seems to be going on here? I'm a tad confused

I think you may have gotten your tests mixed up. Nitrites were prob at 2 ppm and nitrates off the chart. High nitrates usually happen in a fishless cycle because you don't have to perform water changes.

No definately didn't mix them up, they're completely different colours :-S

I don't see how the nitrate test can show 2ppm just before a water change and then between 80 and 160 afterwards? I am doing the test right and exactly the same way

But if my tap water contains nitrate why has it not always shown up? I thought the only way to get rid of nitrate was a water change

Do you usually do 50 percent water changes? If not that's why it hasn't been a big deal before. What are you using to test? Testing the tap water won't hurt...

But if my tap water contains nitrate why has it not always shown up? I thought the only way to get rid of nitrate was a water change

That's right. :) There are two other ways: live plants absorbing them (which you don't have right?) and a process called dentrification (if I have that term right, Eco would know) but it's usually not worth mentioning (again Eco lol).

Just for kicks you could test your tap water, although if you have high nitrates in your tap water you should contact the EPA or something.

The nitrate test is easy to get wrong; I did it once and get 0 nitrate when I had 40 before and I shook the bottles and banged them and did everything as usual. I repeated the test and got the right results. Are you shaking both bottles? I usually do, even though the test kit says only to shake #2.

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as ammonia is dropping and nitrites are there let's continue and see what happens.

Tested the tap water and yes nitrates are there! I use the api master test kit, i meant why weren't nitrates showing up before since i filled the tank up with tap water? What should i do now, just carry on dosing with ammonia daily as i have been?

librarygirl said:
That's right. :) There are two other ways: live plants absorbing them (which you don't have right?) and a process called dentrification (if I have that term right, Eco would know) but it's usually not worth mentioning (again Eco lol).

Just for kicks you could test your tap water, although if you have high nitrates in your tap water you should contact the EPA or something.

The nitrate test is easy to get wrong; I did it once and get 0 nitrate when I had 40 before and I shook the bottles and banged them and did everything as usual. I repeated the test and got the right results. Are you shaking both bottles? I usually do, even though the test kit says only to shake #2.

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as ammonia is dropping and nitrites are there let's continue and see what happens.

Haha no, no live plants but nitrates showing in tap water?! Yea i shake both bottles, the second one really well and a couple of bangs on a hard surface. I have heard many times that it's a tricky one so i follow the instructions exactly and bear in mind people's tips.

How big of water changes do you usually do? If you do smaller it may not show up...

What water conditioner are you using?

It's showing 80ppm, surely that can't be right :-S

Wow that is high. What's the date of your test kit, just to make sure it isn't expired? You might also bring your water to a local LFS to test; some do it free (like PetSmart), just have them write the numbers down and see if they match your test results.

I'm not sure what you should do in this case, as replacing water with nitrates that high are going to be problematic for fish. Maybe Eco or someone will reply...

I don't think so, Im pretty sure it does it with a regular does with a weekly pwc

This is the first water change i have done but it was initially filled with the same water. I am using stress coat to remove the chlorine atm but have ordered a bottle of prime, after reading such good reviews, which i should receive in a day or two. Where do i find the expiry date on my test kit? I have the api master kit, i take it being over the expiry date could lead to inaccurate results. Do you think this has messed up my cycle? I won't lie i'm dissapointed :-(

Back
Top Bottom