Nitrate issues during Cycle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supradupafast

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey,

My 60 gal is entering it's 5th week (Fishless Cycling) and my Nitrates have been driving me crazy.

My Ammonia are reading .25
Nitrites are reading 1

My Nitrates go from 10 to 40 to 80 within 24 hrs.
Ex: Wednesday they were at 10, Thursday back to 40, Friday 10 and today (sunday back at 40-80, really hard to read but extremely red.)

Yes, I am doing as per instruction with the Nitrate test. 10 drops of bottle #1, shake tube & bottle #2 for 30sec. 10 drops of bottle #2. Close and shake for 1min.
(API FW MASTER LIQUID KIT)

What is happening to the cycle ? It has been like this for 2 weeks now?
Also, I was showing 0 ammonia for about a week, and now all of a sudden they are back.
The only thing I've done differently in the past week was taking a Media from my established 10gal and put it in the Canister of my 60 Gal (cycling tank).
Any help would be appreciated as I am clueless on what to do from now?

Sounds like your cycle had a hic-up.
Your nitrates should not go down unless you have plants in the tank, or do a water change.
I have had a stall when my nitrate readings got up into the 150 - 200 level.
A 50% partial water change to get the nitrate values down worked for me.
Also, check your pH, and add a very small pinch of finely ground flake for nutrient value.

The nitrate test from that kit has had some problems with the #2 bottle partially solidifying. Shake really well, tap it on the counter to break it up, and shake some more to mix. Then retry the test.

Hmm ?
Ok, so you think doing a 50%pwc ?
How do I get the cycle going again? Another dose of Ammonia?
This really sucks.. lol

The cycle will continue as long as there is ammonia in the tank for food.
After the 50% pwc dose ammonia back to the 4ppm level.

Update. It has been 2 weeks.
I brought my Ammonia back to 4PPM, and it went down to 0.25 within 48 hours.
As of today, my Ammonia is between 0-0.25ppm, nitrites are stuck at 1 and Nitrates are 10ppm.
My cycle experienced a hickup. I am pretty sure it has cycled but not sure why my Nitrites are still stuck at 1ppm.
Should I do a major 80%WC, let it run for 24 hours and test?
Since I have been showing Nitrates for weeks now, I believe I have a small Bioload. Maybe slowly Stock and watch my levels?

Do the water change, (don't forget to treat the new water with dechlor), dose to 4ppm ammonia and check tommorrow.

yeah, I've done that already... and the Ammonia dropped to 0.25.
That is why I am under the impression that it has cycled.

have you tested your tap water for nitrates? also if you have some distilled water, you might wanna test it as well just to check your test kit

I am not worried for the Test kit as I have two other Tanks (established) that I test frequently with the same kit. This has been my 2nd Fishless Cycle, and it went Ape ... on me.. Not sure what happened, but it was stuck in a Crazy High Nitrate 80PPM for weeks so I did a 50%WC and brought the Ammonia back to 4PPM.. 48 hours after, the Ammonia was 0-0.25 and the Nitrates had came down to 10ppm.
I assume it has a bioload as it destroys the Ammonia in 48 hours.
My question is, should I treat it as if it's cycled... Do my 80%pwc and slowly add hardy fish and test daily and see? It has been cycling since early September.

i would be afriad to add fish until you get the nitrates under control. one thing im curious about... you said you were using a canister... how often do you clean it? i went for a month without cleaning mine (i clean one per pwc, making sure both get cleaned twice a month) and my nitrates shot up to 160+... just a thought.

ammonia and nitrItes should be 0 and nitrAtes will go up when fully cycled.

Your probably really close to fully cycled. Don't rush it. A fully mature bio filter will save you problems long term.

I haven't cleaned the Canister yet because it is still in the (fishless Cycling) mode. This is a brand new filter.
The Nitrates are now under control and have been for about 2 weeks (ever since I did my pwc)
My levels are simply not moving anymore.
I'm stuck at Ammonia 0-0.25, Nitrites 1, Nitrates 10.
I have seeded the tank with a used media from my established tank 2 weeks ago and planted about 1 week ago.

Back
Top Bottom