Nitrate levels zero???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hip_shrimp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just checked my water for the first time and my nitrate levels were zero! Is this ok?

If your tank hasn't finished it's cycle, then the nitrate levels will be at 0

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If your tank hasn't finished it's cycle, then the nitrate levels will be at 0

It already finished the cycle and I already have fish in it. And I've had them in the tank for like a couple weeks now...

I'm not sure about that then. Sorry I couldn't be of more of help. I just started myself...

I'm not sure about that then. Sorry I couldn't be of more of help. I just started myself...

Yeah I might've tested it wrong but I followed the instructions.... I'll just have to see what the levels are over the next few days and go from there.

Thanks! :) still waiting on my cycle to end

I have always had nitrates in my freshwater tank..but in my saltwater tank I never once have seen any. Nitrates...weird huh? Lol. As long as you properly cycled the tank and everything else tests fine then don't worry about it!

I have always had nitrates in my freshwater tank..but in my saltwater tank I never once have seen any. Nitrates...weird huh? Lol. As long as you properly cycled the tank and everything else tests fine then don't worry about it!

That makes me feel so much better. Thanks!

Are you sure you're doing the test correctly? Sometimes people misread the step about shaking bottle #2 and shake the vial instead. Double check the directions and exactly what you're being directed to shake.

What size tank, what's in it, do you have plants?

They may be too low yet to register on your test. What are ammonia and nitrite testing at? If you have zeroes for those, then I wouldn't worry. If they aren't zero, the cycle isn't finished. It takes weeks, not days, with a new tank.

Are you sure you're doing the test correctly? Sometimes people misread the step about shaking bottle #2 and shake the vial instead. Double check the directions and exactly what you're being directed to shake.

Excellent advice. Yes, do shake as directed.

I did shake the bottle as hard as u could for 30 seconds like it said but I'll try the test again today. I have a ten gallon with no live plants in it. But it does have a sand bottom.

A ten gallon should register nitrates by the end of the cycle. Have you tested the other parameters?

I'd take a sample to the big box pet store and have them test it for comparison's sake. They test for free.

I do my own testing with an API drops & tubes kit too and always have. I have never had any issues getting accurate results and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend their kit. But your results make no sense. So, check the expiration dates on your bottles, for one, and make sure it's the freshwater ki. There is a saltwater kit that looks nearly identical and they are not interchangeable.

I just reread that you had just checked the water for the first time. So let's go back a little to the beginning to diagnose this problem (if there even is one, might not be)

What fish are in it?
You mentioned it is cycled but that you just tested water for the first time - what did you do to cycle it?

Back
Top Bottom