Nitrate up before Nitrite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcmcn5

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been cycling (fish in) a new tank since New Years Eve. Been battling ich for the last week and a half and it's just now starting to dissipate in a meaningful way (one poor bugger has been particularly hammered by it). So given that the water chemical levels have been effected by the ich treatment which included removing the filter pads for a few days, I'm wondering about the current levels and would welcome some input. For the last 3-4 days, I've been stuck at:

PH - 7.3
Ammonia - 1ppm to 1.5ppm
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5ppm to 10ppm.

Is it normal to see Ammonia remain pretty much constant at these levels for three days (haven't done a water change in 3 days as I thought I wait for a bigger spike). And is it normal to see Nitrate levels rise while Nitrate levels never get above 0?

Thanks.
20 gallons. 3 black skirted tetras and 1 sunburst platy.

I've been cycling (fish in) a new tank since New Years Eve. Been battling ich for the last week and a half and it's just now starting to dissipate in a meaningful way (one poor bugger has been particularly hammered by it). So given that the water chemical levels have been effected by the ich treatment which included removing the filter pads for a few days, I'm wondering about the current levels and would welcome some input. For the last 3-4 days, I've been stuck at:

PH - 7.3
Ammonia - 1ppm to 1.5ppm
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5ppm to 10ppm.

Is it normal to see Ammonia remain pretty much constant at these levels for three days (haven't done a water change in 3 days as I thought I wait for a bigger spike). And is it normal to see Nitrate levels rise while Nitrate levels never get above 0?

Thanks.
20 gallons. 3 black skirted tetras and 1 sunburst platy.
You know it might just be you're water.

Hholly -- I removed the pads because that's what the ich meds (API Super Ick) told me to do, as well as what I've read from a few postings. They're back in now and have been for a couple of days.

Question on the ammonia -- I thought you were supposed to wait to see a sharp spike in ammonia that will then (assuming it doesn't kill the fish) it drop sharply as Nitrites, then to nitrates? I'm still not entirely sure whether I'm supposed to be allowing the cycle to sun its course, or to actively be changing the water to manage the ammonia levels?

Unless you want to kill your fish, you have to control the spikes of ammo and nitrite, by doing water changes when they get above .25. The old way of fish in cycling viewed the first fish as sacrifices. But most folks now want to keep those first fish happy and healthy. That's why it's so much easier to fishless cycle. Because you can allow the spikes to get sky high without fear of hurting anything.

Please test your tap for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate and let us know what it reads. As your still in the ammonia phase, I suspect the nitrate is from your tap.

Back
Top Bottom