Nitrate's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jar773

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:confused: Hi, my tank has either cycled or is still cycling and my readings are as follows
We did not test unfortunately the first week but started after buying some API 5 in 1 strips,here are the readings,we are 16 days in.
since we started testing the GH has been 180, KH has fluctuated slightly to around 0 to 30 or so. it has been at 0 to 10 for the last 10 days or so,and today is 0.
PH has been fluctuating between 6.5 and 7.2 today was 7.0
nitrate has been 0 since we started testing, nitrate has fluctuated from as high as 40 to as low as 20 and today is 20.
This test kit does not test ammonia specifically.
So what are your thoughts on adding fish slowly. Also would I be better off buying a Master test kit instead of using strips?
If I am at the point of adding fish how long should i wait to add more if I do so at 25% each time?
(y)

You really should purchase the API master kit as the strips are known for being inaccurate. That said, I cannot comfortably suggest you add fish as I don't feel we really know what your readings are.

How did you cycle this tank? Two weeks is not really long enough, it usually takes 4-6 weeks unless you are using seeded filter media.

Hi Linda, I was using the sellers media that was slightly rinsed. I also have well water

I agree with Linda. What are you dosing the tank with to get ammonia? Is it pure ammonia or something else? Your ammonia readings are most important. We particularly need to see how much ammonia drops in 24 hours after dosing (if you're using pure ammonia). The strips are not accurate at all. The API Master Liquid test kit is best and it will test for ammonia as well. Two weeks isn't that long; have you ever had nitrite? I'd say it isn't safe to add fish at all yet.

no dosing, I started tank with previous owners media, and two platty's. I know know I should of went fishless. But they are doing fine

I'm sorry to say no fish "does fine" in an uncycled tank. It's a toxic environment.

We really need to get accurate readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for you.

Back
Top Bottom