Nitrates disappeared over night!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ringoffire

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am at day 21 in fishless cycle in my 55g. Nitrites and nitrates showed up about 10 days ago. Dosing 1-2ppm ammonia daily. Nitrites and nitrates have been on a steady rise, and have performed 1 35%wc a week ago to bring nitrites down a bit. My problem now is that my nitrates have disappeared over night. Tested it 3 times to rule out test error with same results. Last 5 days of readings below can anyone give me an idea of how this could happen and what may be going on?

3/19. 3/20. 3/21. 3/22. 3/23.
Ph- 7.8. Ph-7.6. Ph- 7.6. Ph- 7.6. Ph- 7.6
Ammo- 1. Ammo- 0. Ammo- 1. Ammo- 0 Ammo- 0
Nitrite- <5. Nitrite- <5. Nitrite- <5. Nitrite- <5. Nitrite- <5
Nitrate- <20. Nitrate- 80. Nitrate- 160. Nitrate- <160. Nitrate- 5 ppm.
Performed 25% wc and dosed 2 ppm ammo

Any live plants in the tank?
I've seen this before...have yet to find an explanation though. It's possible that nitrates are so off-chart that the color is matching back to a lower level, although I'm not sure. I wouldn't worry about it though; if everything else is still on-track, I would just continue the cycle.

Yes there are 3 live small plants in the tank. Tested this morning and got the readings:
Ph 7.6
Ammo 1
Nitrite < 5
Nitrate 80
So apparently the water change brought the nitrate to a readable level but not the nitrites. I'm thinking it may be possible that they where so high the test couldn't even register. Who knows? I guess I'm still on the right track. Still wish I could get the nitrites down a bit to prevent the cycle from stalling. Guess I need to do a few more water changes huh?

Back
Top Bottom