Nitrates skipped cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With that many fish in a 20 gal I'd assume you'd be getting some nitrate; it's possible all of the water changes didn't allow the nitrates to rise. Since ammonia and nitrite just started to stay at 0, I'd hold off on water changes (unless either of them spike again, then do them, that's more important). Wait a few days and then test again; you should have at least some nitrate then. If you're using the API Kit, shake and bang BOTH bottles for 30 seconds (I tap mine against my palm or a table a few times) then vigorously shake the tube for 60 seconds and then wait 5 minutes for the results. If you don't do it exact it can cause false readings.

Also if you added gravel and media and didn't take anything away that's fine, shouldn't have disrupted the cycle at all.

FYI though you're overstocked for a 20 gal; what Plecos do you have? What filter are you using? At the very least for now I'd add more filtration if you can and think about either rehoming some fish or upgrading to a larger tank in the near future.

jondamon said:
new gravel in your tank?

New media in your filter?

These are the 2 BIGGEST places that nitrifying bacteria colonise.

You've just replaced it all. Expect to to have to recycle your tank.

You will now have to keep watching for Ammonia and Nitrites and do PWC's according to readings.

You only need to change your media in your filter when it's falling apart.

Jon

I didn't replace anything, sorry for not being more specific. I added ten lbs of gravel and mixed it in with my old one. I didn't put enough when I barely started. As for the media, I still have the first one in their, I added a new one in the extra slot because the first is falling apart and not catching everything. I'm aware of good bacteria and wouldn't jeopardize loosing it by throwing it away for new stuff.

christine2012 said:
You really have to abuse those bottles. Beat it like it owes you money, bang it on a hard surface for as long as possible. I beat mine until my shoulder hurts.

You are talking about the bottles right? Hahaha jk jk

librarygirl said:
With that many fish in a 20 gal I'd assume you'd be getting some nitrate; it's possible all of the water changes didn't allow the nitrates to rise. Since ammonia and nitrite just started to stay at 0, I'd hold off on water changes (unless either of them spike again, then do them, that's more important). Wait a few days and then test again; you should have at least some nitrate then. If you're using the API Kit, shake and bang BOTH bottles for 30 seconds (I tap mine against my palm or a table a few times) then vigorously shake the tube for 60 seconds and then wait 5 minutes for the results. If you don't do it exact it can cause false readings.

Also if you added gravel and media and didn't take anything away that's fine, shouldn't have disrupted the cycle at all.

FYI though you're overstocked for a 20 gal; what Plecos do you have? What filter are you using? At the very least for now I'd add more filtration if you can and think about either rehoming some fish or upgrading to a larger tank in the near future.

Okay i'll give that a try, I haven't done a water change since Friday. I'll shake the bottle vigorously this time see if I get anything.
About the adding I asked here in a separate post before I did. Thankfully great members helped out a lot.
And about the pleco am have its name was a "rubber lip pleco" from petsmart. If I can remember correctly it suppose to grow up to 4". That's the only reason I bought him. He is like a size of a guppy.
I'm considering removing the danios since I noticed on one of my guppies tail nipped. And might also remove the sword tail and his female, they nip my snails like they got nothing better to do lol.

christine2012 said:
Hahahaha I know! After I posted I went back and thought "oh, god "

I couldn't stop laughing for a good minute. Even thou I knew what you meant, it was just in the moment I guess...

I'm thinking that all the pwc might be keeping it below readable levels. Once your at the nitrate stage you really only need to do a 50% once a week maybe 2 with your stock, as mentioned it is overstocked but you seem to be getting the grasp of things here so I know you will rehome some as soon as you can.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
I'm thinking that all the pwc might be keeping it below readable levels. Once your at the nitrate stage you really only need to do a 50% once a week maybe 2 with your stock, as mentioned it is overstocked but you seem to be getting the grasp of things here so I know you will rehome some as soon as you can.

That's what I think I was doing, seems like since I haven't done a pwc for 4 days. Now I noticed the nitrate levels.

Update:
Well I didn't do a pwc for five days and it seems that their were nitrates. The test were:
Ammonia : 0
Nitrites : 0
PH : 7.6
Nitrates : 40ppm
So it's pretty high but i did a pwc after I did the test so hopefully it won't go over that. I read its bad for baby fry to have high nitrate reading for the reason its bad for their growth and other stuff. So thank you guys for your help, shaking the bottle like crazy helped and did give me results with the nitrate this time. My fish are happy and healthy and that makes me feel relieved. Have a nice day!

That's good.

Now you need to make sure you know how many ppm's of Nitrates are already in your tap water.

Follow the same banging of the bottles and test your tap water.

I would try to keep your nitrates under 20ppm now that you know you have some.

Jon

If you did quite a few tests without shaking the nitrate reagent bottles well , the last few tests you do with those bottles might show abnormally high nitrates, regardless of the actual levels. I had a set of bottles that I didn't shake well enough, and kept wondering why my nitrates were so low (I attributed it to lots of plants in the tank). Lo and behold, when the reagent bottles for the nitrate tests started to get emptier, my nitrate levels suddenly skyrocketed. I tested with new, well shaken bottles and my nitrates were normal again. I think the concentration of crystals might be too high in bottles that weren't shaken well when used.

Bbarb27 said:
If you did quite a few tests without shaking the nitrate reagent bottles well , the last few tests you do with those bottles might show abnormally high nitrates, regardless of the actual levels. I had a set of bottles that I didn't shake well enough, and kept wondering why my nitrates were so low (I attributed it to lots of plants in the tank). Lo and behold, when the reagent bottles for the nitrate tests started to get emptier, my nitrate levels suddenly skyrocketed. I tested with new, well shaken bottles and my nitrates were normal again. I think the concentration of crystals might be too high in bottles that weren't shaken well when used.

I see what you are saying.. I was trying to call api to see if they would exchange the bottles or something like someone suggested but i couldn't get a hold of anyone. Might have to buy a new set if it's true what you are saying cuz that is possible that it be more concentrated. Sigh...

Back
Top Bottom