NitraZorb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madison_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, just wondering if anyone has had any experience using NitraZorb? When I first started testing my water using the API test kit for my female betta about a month ago ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates were all high but with the use of Tetra SafeStart Plus I have managed to get the ammonia and nitrites down to 0. The nitrates are still high (close to 80 ppm) and the API test kit recommended NitraZorb. I bought it but I’m confused because it looks like it just replaces the filter cartridge and I don’t know how that would make sense because of the beneficial bacteria growing on my current filter (I have an Aqueon Minibow tank and I’m using the filter that came with it); I wouldn’t want to lose all of that. I’m also not sure if NitraZorb is ok to use with the Tetra SafeStart Plus. Any input or suggestions you guys have would be very helpful, I love my fish so much and I want to keep her as healthy as possible without harming her in the process!

Do a 50% wc and the nitrates will cut in half. Do it again and you are down to 20 ppm nitrates. Smaller wc will finish off your problems with nitrates.

I’ve been doing water changes once a week, should I be doing them more often? Also now that I think of it I’ve been testing the water a few days after it’s been in the tank, if I did it the day of do you think I’d get different results?

Right now you have a nitrate count that is not good for your fish. Tonight, do a 50% change and again tomorrow do another. Then do smaller changes each day til you get your nitrates where they are safe. Keep testing and you will soon see how often you need to do a change. Nitrates come from nitrites and nitrites come from ammonia as the nitrites and ammonia are “eaten” by bb. The whole thing starts with ammonia from fish waste, fish food and decay from plants. The more of either of these will cause more nitrates and control your schedule for wc.

The only chemical I use in a new tank is Seachem Prime to dechlorinate the water. Water changes are all that is needed to control nitrites and nitrates. Pet supply companies and fish stores like to sell products.

Thank you to both of you for responding! I agree that I don’t want to have to use chemicals if I don’t have to. I will definitely start with daily 50% water changes until the levels decrease. Is there a risk of my fish going into shock if they decrease quickly?

If you are doing daily water changes your fish won't be shocked.

I agree with the others here......water changes solves a lot of water quality issues without chemicals. You just have to put in the work to make it happen.

Yes, pwc are ideal and these are NOT a substitute for pwc but they are a useful tool and a sort of not as much of a chemical additive as a remover in my thoughts as the resin ion exchange.

My use for it previously was in a regular shrimp tank to make sure the levels stayed low for a period of time (I didn't use it for cycling).

It kept the levels good along with the normal pwc.

This product is recharged with Aquarium salt, though I also didn't recharge it either because I didn't need it that long.

Regular water changing in a tank, generally keeps the minerals refreshed and help in keeping the water in the best condition for fish.

I liked it and I have used it before when I went on vacation, but had no idea how it did when i was gone, no one was testing.

https://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=547#.XE5_x1xKiM8
https://www.apifishcare.com/pdf/nitra_zorb_science_paths.pdf

Thank you everyone! I will definitely try the water changes and hopefully that helps.

Update

Update: gave the tank a good cleaning, did a 50% water change (I took my fish out with a net, I felt so bad because she got afraid and pooped and got pale), and tested the nitrates. They are now between 10 and 20 ppm. I will test again tomorrow; at what level should I change the water again?

You might try a small cup (a good size but one you can tilt and move in the water easily)

Gently place next to the fish when at the top of the tank and the suction and a 45 degree angle and gentle tilt and scoop - often is easy and the fish are in the same water and not much issue I have ever had.

To acclimate to new water I dump half the water through a net so at to catch the fish it it makes a jump.

Then add half the cup back with the new water you are adding to the tank. Then wait a few 5 or 10 (or 15). Dump half again and add new water again. Then after a bit of time, go ahead and add the whole cup of water and fish to tank.

Capturing with a net can be more stressful.

You might try a small cup (a good size but one you can tilt and move in the water easily)

Gently place next to the fish when at the top of the tank and the suction and a 45 degree angle and gentle tilt and scoop - often is easy and the fish are in the same water and not much issue I have ever had.

To acclimate to new water I dump half the water through a net so at to catch the fish it it makes a jump.

Then add half the cup back with the new water you are adding to the tank. Then wait a few 5 or 10 (or 15). Dump half again and add new water again. Then after a bit of time, go ahead and add the whole cup of water and fish to tank.

Capturing with a net can be more stressful.

Thanks, I’ll try that next time!

Back
Top Bottom