Nitrite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianWaters

Aquarium Advice Addict
Stalled Cycle?

I am fish less cycling my tank and I watched my ammonia drop and my nitrites spike till they were off what my test kit could read. I did a 50% water change but my nitrites didnt even budge. They are exactly as they were before the change and still are a few days later. Is my cycle stalled or is this normal?
Any help or opinion is appreciated!!

This happened to me too. I would do a 75% water change, that got my nitrites down to about 5 or so, then I did a smaller one the next day and it finished up in a few days!

+1 to what Scottyhorse said. Try doing a larger water change (as much water as you can take out), don't forget to dechlorinate, wait a couple of hours then test nitrite again. If it's still high, do another large water change. Keep doing this until nitrites are readable on the chart (<2). Then dose ammonia to 2 instead of 4 and see what happens in 24 hours.

How long does it usually take to have nitrite drop into readable levels? I am cycling my tank and did a 90% water change and am just waiting for my Nitrite to disappear.
How long does this usually take?

Something in between 50-110 but my test kit (liquid) says high nitrite can affect the nitrate reading.

It's a good Time for a large water change. 70-90% so you don't have a pH crash. Also,it seems like you're pretty close to being cycled with nitrates that high.

Back
Top Bottom