Nitrite After PWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep your about at the finish line and I bet it's only going to be a few more days.

Amazingly the nitrites actually did go down quite a bit within the last 12 hours since I tested. It's not quite at 0 yet but after the 24 hour mark my results were 0 ammonia, somewhere between .5 and 1.0 nitrites and 80 nitrates so I was happy to see it headed in the right direction. Hoping this is the begining of the end :)

I am right there with you on nitrites not falling( although I see that's changed for you(y)) Did you do a water change? I'm kinda skidish about doin another one. My nitrates are 40ish right now and I hate to drop em. My ammo gets gone pretty quick, 3-4ppm to 0 in less than 24hr...Its just those nitrites wont go down.......

I am right there with you on nitrites not falling( although I see that's changed for you(y)) Did you do a water change? I'm kinda skidish about doin another one. My nitrates are 40ish right now and I hate to drop em. My ammo gets gone pretty quick, 3-4ppm to 0 in less than 24hr...Its just those nitrites wont go down.......

I did indeed do a rather large water change (around 90%) when I realized that both the nitrites and nitrates were off the charts and the pH was in danger of falling below 6.5 which I knew would slow things down. It's hard to say if that or the difference of a day allowed for the nitrites to pick up some speed in lowering. I can tell you that I tested at 0 nitrites after the 90% PWC so I have a sneaking feeling that getting them down to readable levels also helped for it to be able to process a bit quicker. Rather than having to process the 5.0+ unknown amount it only seemed to hit a peak of 5.0 no higher in that 24 hour period. This is just a guess however because this is my first cycle and I am only just familiarizing myself with the true process behind it. I'm confident someone can answer that better than I. The best advice I have had comes from these forums :thanks: and the gist of it was to be patient and keep on at that 4ppm dosing. Eventually, it's gonna start coming down. I will be crossing my fingers for you that it happens sooner rather than eventually :)

Back
Top Bottom