Nitrite and Nitrate levels during fishless cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Veeshun

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm in the middle of a fishless cycle. I was just to the point in the guide where my Nitrite and Nitrate levels were off the chart so I did a 50-60% water change. My Nitrates went down however my Nitrites have not. I'm still testing at a violet purple color that is off the chart. I'm also having to add ammonia every night back up to 4.0 since it's back down to 0.25-.50 ppm 24 hours later. Any suggestions? I'm also including a picture of the test results below.

Attachments

• 2013-02-28_02-16-11_615.jpg
    2013-02-28_02-16-11_615.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 99
You can try a larger water change, as much water as you can remove to try to get nitrites down to a more readable level on the chart. If they're really high it can take more than one water change to get them down. It sounds like everything is progressing nicely!

Last night I did two 90% water changes an hour apart that dropped the nitrites to about 1-2ppm. Today they're off the chart again, was it a bad idea to dose the ammonia back up to 4ppm? They ate through the ammonia in less than 14 hours. What should I do now?

You can try dropping the ammonia dose down to 2 for a few days to try and let the nitrite bacteria catch up. The nitrite phase is the longest, can take a few weeks, it's normal for it to spike. Keep an eye on your PH too, make sure it isn't dropping too much (mid-low 6's can stall the cycle).

Ok, it's been a steady 7.8 since I started. I've been watching it like crazy just to make sure. So it's normal for the nitrates to play catch up? Will the nitrates start to neutralize the nitrites spike?

I've been searching around on here and looking at some of your responses to other threads. I see that the nitrite spike is normal and part of the cycling. I also read that the nitrite phase is the longest part. So basically since I can't keep the nitrites from being off the chart, just feed them a little less? They eat 4ppm's of ammonia in around 12 hours. Will there be a day where they suddenly all vanish after being off the charts? They're still off the charts now. So I just keep feeding them ammonia until they drop to 0 correct?

Back
Top Bottom