Nitrite explosion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baddog671

Aquarium Advice Activist
Cycling my first tank (fresh 19g) and for the last 3 weeks I've been doing 1/3 or 1/2 WC every other day to keep ammonia at bay. Even still, it was always about 2ppm, as well as 0-.25ppm nitrite and 0 nitrate.

Three days ago I checked my levels before doing a 1/2 WC and nitrite was up a tad. About .25-.5ppm, and nitrate still 0-5ppm.

Today did a change (meant to do after 2 days but ended up being 3), and got very different ranges. Ammonia was roughly 1ppm (lower than normal), nitrate was up a bit at 5-10ppm, but nitrite was off the charts. Over 5ppm, it was bright "Barney Purple". At first I thought I messed up and put too many drops in, so I retested it as well as the tap water getting ready to go in the tank. Same results, and tap water was 0-.25

pH is hard to read. 7.6+ on the regular test, and doesn't really match any color on the high test.
Using an API kit btw. Just keep with the WC and let it settle naturally?:hide:

I would personally slow down with water changes ive never fishless cycled a tank where every other day changes were needed.

Either way it sounds like its progressing so if its working for you, dont change it.

Yes super high nitrite levels can stall a cycle but ive got through a fishless cycle with only 3 or 4 water changes. The 5ppm water change is a guide line.

My first tank i fishless cycled i over dosed ammonia, left the nitrite super high and pretty much just did everything wrong and still got the cycle in the end. I think its actually hard to mess up.

how many fish are in this tank as well as how much are you feeding? Those are awfully high levels if you're doing changes that often.

Baddog, I would love to hear how your tank is doing. Mine is at about the same spot yours is with Barney Purple reading of Nitrite, although my ammonia levels were high as well. I have been doing a 50% water change every other day. How long does this Nitrite cycle last? And should I be doing more PWC's?

how many fish are in this tank as well as how much are you feeding? Those are awfully high levels if you're doing changes that often.
1 pleco and 1 neon tetra up until this point. I had 5 neon, but I introduced them too early :/

I keep feeding minimal as 1 neon hardly eats anything, and my pleco doesn't actively eat anything. Just sucks the glass, but there is always poop when I look, so he must be getting it somewhere.

I vacuum the gravel each WC, and agitate it by hand afterwards to stir up what is left.

Baddog, I would love to hear how your tank is doing. Mine is at about the same spot yours is with Barney Purple reading of Nitrite, although my ammonia levels were high as well. I have been doing a 50% water change every other day. How long does this Nitrite cycle last? And should I be doing more PWC's?
I tested my tank today and the ammonia dropped from 1ppm to 0, nitrite is right back to Barney Purple, and nitrate is orange (5-20). Hopefully the nitrite gets converted rather quickly...

If you are seeing a .5ppm of nitrite then you really need to do a water change asap. It's just as dangerous as ammonia is if not more dangerous to fish. Shoot for no higher than .25ppm.

I'm currently like 20-25x that, and it came out of nowhere. I'm doing a few WC today to drive the level back down, and I'll check again tomorrow. Hopefully the nitrite won't last too long, since there is minimal ammonia to feed to conversion...?

I got 6 month old filters for my tanks yesterday and last water change was Sunday andfor both 10 and 29 gal
nitrite is 0
Nitrate is 10
Ph7
Ammonia .5
hardness 75
Alkalinity 60
I used free test Strips Petsmart will buy liquid test tomorrow
Last tests on 10 before water change was ammonia 1
Nitrate nitrite 0
Hardness 25
Alkalinity 40
Ph7.2
The 29 gal was
Ammonia 3 (no dead fish miracle )
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Ph 6.8
Alkalinity 40
Hardness 75
Both are fish in cycle

I think getting used filter media from cycled tank will help

Unless you know someone with an established tank that is willing to give you one, cycled filters arnt the easiest thing to get. Fishlover, whered you get them? Are you sure they were establish filters? I wouldnt expect you to be getting ammonia in the tank if they were. By established filters, we mean filters that are from one tank straight onto another within hours and preferably quicker! getting cycled filters aint the easiest thing to do but borrowing some media or even media grime helps.

I had gt it from someone near me from 9 months old tank with 6 month old filters transported in some water maybe out of tank for 6 hours more or less

The filters were just added Tuesday and my last water change was 2 days before that

Did a few small changes (5, 5, 5) last night and barely got a color change on the nitrites.

Did a big WC today (10) after work, and added a cap of Prime. Afterwards got levels down to 0 ammonia, 1-2 n2, 5 n3.

Will do another WC tomorrow to get it down to 0.

Back
Top Bottom