Nitrite issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJP

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Need some help, folks: Started a 45 gal aquarium about 6 wks ago with 2 small goldfish and a small pleco; been checking parameters religiously and waiting for it to cycle. Ammonia has never gone up at all but about 3 wks ago, nitrite skyrocketed and just won't normalize. I have been water changes daily for over 2 weeks, and have done 3 consecutive 80%+ changes the last few days. The nitrite will be normal immediately after the change but is in the "stress" zone again within 8 hrs, and "danger" by the next day. Been filling it with tap water, which is from a well. Checking it with Tetra test strips, all other parameters including ammonia have always been good, the fishies look fine with no signs of distress but I'm sure getting sick of these water changes. Nitrate is not showing up at all, either. I am going to try another type of test kit today to make sure it's consistent; the only other thing I can think of is that maybe there's something in the well water being metabolized to nitrite after do the changes. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

80% water changes might be a bit steep maybe 50% a day would be better. I would get a new and different test kit and if it shows high for nitrite from tank water after the usual time that it's high, I would then test it against the water from the well. It must be the kit or the water being put into the tank. Hope this helps.

Reactions: JJP
Test strips are pretty terrible, I'd highly recommend the api master test kit instead. The results your getting from strips could be completely wrong.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Test strips are pretty terrible, I'd highly recommend the api master test kit instead. The results your getting from strips could be completely wrong.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Just got one, in fact. Unfortunately, it mirrors the results of the strips (no ammonia or nitrate but >3ppm nitrate).

Update

Well water tested; no ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates. I suspect it's a gimmick but I picked up some API Nitra Zorb granules for the filter. We'll see ... I'll recheck tomorrow and post whether or not it made any difference.

3 small fish in a 45 gallon tank would take forever to cycle, be patient and maybe buy a new test kit and calm down with the water changes

Back
Top Bottom