Nitrite spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldenPlecTony

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello people,

Had the tank set up for about 4 weeks now, gradually added the fish over this period with Ammonia being 0.25 (rising to 1.0 at its highest) and the nitirite at 0 and the nitrate at 0.

90L - 6 Neons, 2 Corys, 3 mollies, 1 Betta, 1 Pearl Daino (Inherited with the tank or I would of bought more) 1 faetherfin syno.

In the last week the ammonia has dropped to near enough 0 and the nitirite has peeked off the chart. I have been doing daily 50% water changes but just need to know if I persist with this or if I buy something like Stress Zyme Biological Filtration Booster which claims to lower the toxics in my tank? If I use this product will my tank still cycle or am I effectively just freezing the process in time? Then if I stop using it the nitrite will peek again?

I know this means im about half way through the cycle but just need to know if there is anything more I could be doing other than frequent water changes.

I was assured the tank I bought had been cycled so I chose the safe route of testing the water before each fish introduction and all seemed fine until this random peek. I would of just accepted this as part of my cycle if the ammonia had been high early in the tanks life but thats been pretty much 0 since I set the tank up (possibly peeking at 1.0 a few weeks ago)

Thanks guys :fish1:

Keep at it ... your nearly there. Continue with PWC's and skip adding any chemicals EXCEPT for Seachem Prime ... it locks ammo and nitrites into less toxic forms for 24+ hrs. That'll help give your stock some breathing room .. but still allow the bacteria to consume ammo / nitrites.

Back
Top Bottom