Nitrites high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nikki18

Aquarium Advice Newbie

I tested my water and my nitrites were 3.0. I then vaccumed the tank and did about a 35% water change. This was yesterday the 5th. It is still reading 3.0 and the water is cloudly. Also my rocks seem to be losing pieces of black particles. I washed them well before I placed them in the tank. Another piece of info, I found my snail dead yesterday when I was cleaning the tank. So what do I need to do to lower these Nitrites? Any info will be wonderful. Thank you :D

What kind of rocks are these? What are the other water parameters (ammonia and nitrate)? Do a 50% PWC ASAP--this time do not vacuum the gravel. Do another test. If it is still 3, take a water sample to the LFS and have them check it. What kind of test kit are you using (strips or liquid)?

They are black and pink gravel. They are for fish tanks. I am using strips to test the water. My others parameters are Nitrate 10, ph is 6.9, Alkalinity is 15 which is low also

A dead snail will definately cause your tank to crash. I'd try to find some FW Bio-Spira to save your fish!

I am a fan of water changes. When diluting undesirables remember the formula c1v1=c2v2 from high school chemistry. Roughly translated... you need to do a 50% change to halve the concentration of ammonia, nitrate, nitrite...or whatever really. If readings are really high you might need to do two 50% water changes. One early morining and one in the evening.

That goes without saying. I do 50% water changes on all my tanks weeekly (doing them right now). Are you sure there isn't any of that snail left in your tank?

A little history of the tank would help too. How long has the tank been set up? How many fish are in it? What are you feeding them? What sort of filtration do you use?

The strips to test water parameters aren't very reliable. I think you should use the small bottles. How are your fish doing? even if they stand the nitrites I don't know how they'll bear the ammonium rise afterwards... Do you know someone who could give you some used water from their tanks, it would help?
Good luck :)

Used water won't do a thing--filter squeezings would. Large water changes & get some Bio-Spira.

the tank has been set up about a month. I am not postive that all the snail is out. I have a friend who could give me some used water, I just dont know how soon. I will do another water change. Also what about taking out the gravel and cleaning it? I have heard not to do this because it will ruin the cycle?? I have 6 fish in a 10 gallon tank. My platy is pregnant and I think one on Mollies is pregnant also. I am using an AquaTech 5-15 filter. Thanks for all the help!!

Well, it can take up to 2 months before a full cycle finishes. Don't bother getting used water. Sounds like you are just going through the nitrite cycle. Just keep up with your water changes. 30-35% everyday until your nitrites are back at 0. DO NOT disturb the gravel at all as the bacteria is still growing. Vacuuming the gravel would be a BAD thing to do. Just keep up with your pwc's and make sure to add dechlor when putting new water back in and you'll be good to go. Don't clean your filter until the tank has fully cycled as this is where a bunch of the good bacteria is!

Also, make sure you are not overfeeding your fish. As Meghan suggested to me (thanks Meghan) :wink: , which I strongly agree with, feed your fish every other day only as much as they can consume in a few minutes. This will also help from over polluting the water.

someone told me i can feed them every other day. is that ok. also should i try to see if there is some snail in there because if there is then dont i need to vaccum it out.

That's what I suggested....feeding them every other day.
How big of a snail was it? If it was a small one, you should have no problem. The nitrite is probbaly because of the cycle it is going through, not because the snail died.

Back
Top Bottom