Nitrites really high after full tank clean and treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tedrogers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

A fully cleaned tank, rinsed substrate gravel, new water, cycled for 2 weeks, treated with API NITRITE remover for 4 days, quadruple doses in a 60L tank, new Juwel Compact filter media (which was exposed to high nitrite), but can someone explain to me why despite all the treatments the nitrite isn't dropping? Added new cirax today, so maybe soon I'll have low nitrite? Tank has no inhabitants. Ammonia, nitrate and PH all excellent. Stumped at the moment, or maybe the good bacteria from treatment just takes a long time to work? Any ideas please?

Thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What did you use as an ammonia source to "feed" this cycle? I find it odd that you are detecting zero ammonia at this point if none was added.
What additive were you using contains bacteria?
In terms of time, the ammonia-to-nitrite conversion takes much less time than the nitrite-to-nitrate conversion. Respectively, 1-3 weeks and 2-4 weeks, generally speaking and assuming there is an ammonia source (either pure ammonia or fish metabolism based).
Are you familiar with the Nitrogen Cycle?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not really familiar no. Does the tank need an ammonia source? I could stock it, but I'm trying to create a breeder.

I'm using this stuff:

Attachments

• 1476443035507.jpg
    1476443035507.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 51
Retested again this morning...no ammonia...nitrites at about 5ppm or higher

I still find it odd that the nitrate level is so high.
In a nutshell, the nitrogen cycle is the conversion of harmful nitrogenous waste products into lesser harmful products. These products are ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. The first two are quite harmful. This is accomplished by the actions of a few species of bacteria. Ammonia, present in fish waste, is converted to nitrite which is later converted to nitrate. Water changes will reduce nitrate to safe levels. This process takes time; in a new tank it could take 4-6 weeks. Having fish in the tank is the typical route as they produce the ammonia to get things started. However, water changes are needed to keep the wastes from accumulating to toxic levels. This can be stressful for the fish.
The idea of a fishless cycle is one where instead of fish, an ammonia source is added (raw shrimp or pure ammonia). In this setup, the levels of ammonia and nitrite can get dangerously high and water changes are not required as there are no fish (or invertebrates) present.
In either scenario, when the ammonia and nitrate are zero and nitrate is present is when the tank is considered cycled. There are more elaborate articles on the subject.
The product you have assumes you have an ammonia source in your tank. Read up and decide if you want to go fishless or introduce fish into the tank.
An ideal route would be to obtain media from an existing, healthy tank. The bacteria are already present and it will quickly reduce the time to complete cycling from several weeks to days.

I think I will introduce some fish into the tank to produce some ammonia to get things going....thanks for your advice and layman's explanation. I'll keep a close eye on things, with regular water changes, and whip them back to the safe tank if needed.

Is another alternative that I could take cycled water from my safe tank, and put it into the nitrite rich tank?

I think I will introduce some fish into the tank to produce some ammonia to get things going....thanks for your advice and layman's explanation. I'll keep a close eye on things, with regular water changes, and whip them back to the safe tank if needed.

Is another alternative that I could take cycled water from my safe tank, and put it into the nitrite rich tank?

No!
Nitrite is extremely poisonous, it stops a fish's ability to derive oxygen while breathing.

Do not stock anything until you have no ammonia, no nitrite. You have nitrite so somewhere the nitrogen cycle already started. Keep doing your tests, when you see only NITRATE do a partial water change. And you can pick your first addition. Always stock slowly over few weeks.

If really think you need an ammonia source, buy fish food. Put 2 flakes in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay thank you. I put a small pinch of flakes in. Thank you for your support.

Back
Top Bottom