nitrites went from 0 to 5 after water change!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommytron

Aquarium Advice Addict
our tank has been at the end of the cycle for a while now. so we tested the water this morning. ammonia was almost 1.0 (higher than normal before dosing because i think i put in a little more than i had been yesterday), nitrites zero, nitrates 10. so i called the LFS, they got cardinal tetras in this morning so i asked them to hold 10 for me for later. we just performed about a 75% water change. the last bucket went in without dechlor, but it got added in less than 5 minutes later.

so i am getting ready to leave for the LFS so i figured i'd check the levels one last time. ammonia is now 0, nitrites are 5.0 (!!!!!!!?????) and nitrate is between 10 and 20. what the heck!?!?!? how could the nitrite be so high???? i wanted to pick the fish up today becasue it's 2 for 1 fish day wednesday only. now i'm not so sure i should. i want to cry. please help!!!!

i posted this in my build thread too. what should i do!?!?!?

BUMP! what should i do!?!?!?!? another PWC??? wait longer to get fish??? this morning my tank was completely cycled!!!! did i kill off my bacteria???? help me :bawl: !!!

BUMP! what should i do!?!?!?!? another PWC??? wait longer to get fish??? this morning my tank was completely cycled!!!! did i kill off my bacteria???? help me :bawl: !!!

I doubt that. Even if you did kill off your bacteria it would still take a bit of time for the ammonia to be converted to nitrites. If you killed off your bacteria there would be nothing to convert ammonia to nitrites, so if anything you'd see higher levels of ammonia. And, even if you somehow killed off only the bacteria that converts from nitrites to nitrates (I don't know how that would be accomplished) I doubt you would see such a quick spike in nitrites.

I'm no pro on this, but it just seems to defy common sense to me. Did you try retesting? Did you test your tap water?

I retested like 3 times lol. tested the tap water when we first started everything up. i have a feeling it's cuz a bunch of gunk got stirred up when we changed the water, and i just caught it in the middle of converting or whatever. i'm going to go get the fish and hope the levels are lower when i get home (got a couple hours, LFS is 45min away). if not i guess i'll have to do another PWC before i put them in. ...... i'm a little worried but WAY too stubborn to not get them tonight!!!!

Yeah, I'd imagine it's nothing to worry too much about. But, just in case your levels stay high for some odd reason you might wanna pick up a small box of aquarium salt. You need only a small amount to protect against nitrites.

Read this (a post of mine from a while back):

I had read somewhere (can't remember where now) that salt is good to use when you have nitrites. I decided to do a little research on that and it turns out that (according to a couple white papers I read) if you have nitrites it is very important to use salt.

So, here is the justification: Nitrites absorb through the gills and turns hemoglobin in the blood to methemoglobin. Methemoglobin does not allow the blood cells to carry oxygen, so basically the fish suffocates.

Chloride in salt competes with nitrites and basically blocks the uptake through the gills of the nitrites. Therefore, the hemoglobin is protected and the cells can continue to transport oxygen. You apparently need about 9 times more chloride than nitrites to give your fish good protection.

I also read that 1 PPM of salt equals .80655 PPM of chloride, so 1.24 PPM of Salt = 1 PPM of chloride. So, if you have 2 PPM of nitrites you would need 18 PPM of chloride which would equal 22.32 PPM of salt or .002232% (22.32/1000000) salinity (not a whole lot).

So, lets say you have a 55 gallon tank with about 5 gallons or so displaced by stuff in your tank (like me :razz:). That means you have 6,682 ounces of water (if I did my calculations right). In order to reach .002232% salinity you would need to solve a little equation: x / (6,682 + x) = .00002232. So, according to this information you would need to add about .15 ounces of aquarium salt to your tank in order to protect against 2PPM of nitrite in a 55 gallon tank with about 5 gallons of water displaced.

I, unfortunately, do not have a food scale or anything, so I was unable to see how much a tablespoon of aquarium salt weighs. But, on the API box it happens to give you the number of gallons it treats, the total weight of the salt in the box, and a guideline for how much to add. I figured they would calculate the number of gallons it treated based on the smallest amount it tells you to add (looks better to have a bigger number). So, using that information I calculated how many tablespoons total there were in the box, and divided the total ounces by that and came up with about .9 ounces of salt per tablespoon (if anyone has a scale and could measure a tablespoon of API aquarium salt for me that would be awesome!).

So, if you follow the API general recommendation for tropical fish you are adding .9 ounces for every 5 gallons of water. That comes out to .9 ounces of salt for every 668 ounces of water. This equals: .9 / (668 + .9) = .00135 or .135% salinity. This also equates to 1,350 PPM of salt or ~1088 PPM of chloride.

Anyway, my point is that there is a very good reason for using salt if you are having nitrite issues. Another point I'm trying to make is that it takes a very small amount of salt to protect against nitrite, and the API recommendations is far more than needed. So, if you have nitrite issues using the recommended API dose should be more than enough protection. However, based on the information I read using salt is not fool proof and some fish can still have problems and die due to nitrite. So, the use of salt is no replacement for good maintenance of your aquarium as the best protection against nitrites is just not having them. But, if you get in a pinch (like me) and need to use it, it should offer some good protection against nitrites.

I just want to note that my calculations depend on a tablespoon of aquarium salt equaling .9 ounces. That calculation was based on some assumptions that may prove wrong, so, like I mentioned before, it would be awesome if someone could actually measure it for me. :wink: One more number it depends on is 1 PPM of salt equaling .80655 PPM of chloride. I can't remember where I got that number from, just had it written down in my calculations, so if anyone knows that is wrong let me know so I can recalculate.

Also, I forgot to save the papers to my favorites, and I'm going off all the stuff I wrote down yesterday. I'll try to dig those up again and post them. I hope this helps someone. I did a decent amount of research over the past couple days because my nitrites are starting to spike (for those of you who haven't read my other posts, I accidentally destroyed my cycle) and I wanted to offer my fish some protection. So, I figured I'd post some of the stuff I learned.

So, to answer your question. You should probably use your salt by keeping it around in case of emergency.

EDIT: Found one: http://www.ca.uky.edu/wkrec/NitritePonds.pdf
To make it easier on you I decided to break it down to salt per 5 gallons. It comes out to about 2 teaspoons for every 5 gallons of water.

I retested like 3 times lol. tested the tap water when we first started everything up. i have a feeling it's cuz a bunch of gunk got stirred up when we changed the water, and i just caught it in the middle of converting or whatever. i'm going to go get the fish and hope the levels are lower when i get home (got a couple hours, LFS is 45min away). if not i guess i'll have to do another PWC before i put them in. ...... i'm a little worried but WAY too stubborn to not get them tonight!!!!

I think they will be fine. You have waited far too long for these guys and you deserve them.

lol, thanks! i have them now. cross your fingers for our little cardinals!

I will. I am excited to see pics! Can't wait. I believe that those are pretty hardy fish anyways, so even if there is some nitrites they will definitely make it. I know you don't want them to have to deal with it at all but I am guessing it only be a couple days tops if there is even a problem.

One idea, which is just an idea...

You say that you dosed a little more than usual. The bacterial colonies can only process so much ammonia per hour... And only so much nitrite per hour. Since you dosed more ammonia than usual, it may have created an influx of nitrite faster than your tank's bacteria could handle it.

Here's to hoping everything works out, and one more to your sanity :D I know this fish keeping can be trying stuff!

Extremely trying. Nitrites are still either 1.0 or 5.0 (ammonia 0, nitrate between 5 and 10), it does look a little more purpley than pink so i think it may be 1. i still want to cry. i can't tell if the fish are happy or trying desperately trying to get out of the tank. they are all hanging together in one corner of the tank, facing the front glass. not really sure what that means. i guess i will do a PWC to see if i can get them down. i just hope i didn't screw up the cycle. there's no ammonia so it makes me think i didn't, it just doesn't make sense to me why the nitrites are so dang high. and everything else is normal. ugh. just when i thought i had everything figured out.....

Fish freshly added to a new tank are usually pretty stressed. It took my white clouds a couple weeks to get fully comfortable in their tank (and they seemed to become comfortable in 1s and 2s.. not all of them at once.. first 2 were swimming around at first.. rest hiding, then another... for a while 5 of the 6 were out swimming while the last would just come out to eat... finally now they are all out and about most of the time). Though my betta only took a few days.

So the fact that they are sticking together in the corner and not really swimming may not be a strong indicator of the water quality.

It took my puffer the whole first month to get used to the tank, I think he still is getting used to it more. I worry sometimes because I can't always find him. He is so tiny and such a good hider! When I put the snails in to feed him I didn't see him for like a week so I am assuming he is anti social. lol. Since you have a group of them they will probably get comfy a lot quicker though.

Extremely trying. Nitrites are still either 1.0 or 5.0 (ammonia 0, nitrate between 5 and 10), it does look a little more purpley than pink so i think it may be 1. i still want to cry. i can't tell if the fish are happy or trying desperately trying to get out of the tank. they are all hanging together in one corner of the tank, facing the front glass. not really sure what that means. i guess i will do a PWC to see if i can get them down. i just hope i didn't screw up the cycle. there's no ammonia so it makes me think i didn't, it just doesn't make sense to me why the nitrites are so dang high. and everything else is normal. ugh. just when i thought i had everything figured out.....

That sucks! I'd make sure to throw some aquarium salt in there since it does a good job protecting fish against nitrites.

Back
Top Bottom