Nitrogen Cycle Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr_tee0419

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a relatively new tank (5 weeks) with a small Map Turtle in it. I wanted to add fish, but have not been able to get the nitrogen cycle to even start. I have adequate filtration (cascade canister filter), and have dechlorinated the water. I do have some spare bricks in the aquarium to hold up a structure for the turtle. Could this possibly be affecting the cycle in some way? My ammonia reading is very high, and my nitrate reading is zero. What should I go from here?

Have you tested for your nitrites yet? The nitrates wont show up until a decent number of nitrites are in the tank feeding off the ammonia. One other thing you can try is to try to find some bio-spira and add to your tank.

How high is high - Re; ammonia level? Extremly high ammonia can stall the cycle - kills off even the bacteria I guess.

Suggestion is to do enough water changes to keep the ammonia around 1 or less, and take it from there.

tee, just a bit of advice before I answer. I have 2 baby red ear slider turtles in a 20 gal tank. Every fish that I have put in there (on purpose, for them to eat) has gotten eaten. :? Make sure that you fish is big enough, or your turtle small enough for the fish to survive.

I second jsoong's advice. If it has been a while since you did a water change, I would do one. You ammonia levels are probaly so high that it itself is stopping, or greatly impeding, the growth of you nitrobacter. HTH!

Back
Top Bottom