No cycling activity after 18 days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ulrichsd

Aquarium Advice Freak
It's been about 18 days and still have 0 nitrates, 0 nitrates. Running about 4ppm ammonia. Ph about 8.0 all using api master kit.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the rocks I washed with bleach solution I didn't properly rinse and enough and chlorine got in to the tank to prevent the bacteria growth.

I asked my local petsmart where I bought the tank if I could have some substrate for seed material but she said they had just recovered from some fish disease so she didn't want to give it out. So no seed material.

Maybe I could do a 50 percent water change and use my prime to dechlorinate? That wouldn't hurt the cycling? Eventually will be adding African mbuna.

Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1400643852729.jpg
    1400643852729.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 76
You need a source of beneficial bacteria to start the cycle. It will never cycle of you don't add some source of bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrates.

I am using topfin aquarium bacteria supplement conditioner. If I keep adding that will that work?

Using Dr Tim's ammonium chloride for ammonia levels.

You need a source of beneficial bacteria to start the cycle. It will never cycle of you don't add some source of bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrates.

The bacteria we need for nitrification is actually everywhere in your house. There's no need for adding bacteria to start the cycle.

I am using topfin aquarium bacteria supplement conditioner. If I keep adding that will that work?

Using Dr Tim's ammonium chloride for ammonia levels.

There isn't going to be any residual bleach in the tank by now. It breaks down into harmless components fairly quickly when exposed to air and light (Which is why it's ALWAYS in opaque bottles)

I would give it another week and then start worrying about the cycle. Also, the bacteria supplements are hit or miss. They rarely work so I wouldn't expect miracles with it.

Did you add any ammonia to the tank? The bacteria needs a food source to multiply.

Edit to add: I just re-read your post. Sorry. I see you have 4 ppm ammonia! Can you get a piece of a friends filter to kick start you bacteria?

You could also Try ordering an active sponge filter from angelsplus.com, but you would likely have to leave it in your tank; and it might be Kind of an eye sore. I used them for a couple of my tanks and the tanks fully cycled in about a week, but I might have also just have gotten lucky.

Well, The first well I was only at around 1 ppm, I was afraid of going too high, then bumped it up. We'll see, I'll wait another week and see what happens.

Makes sense with the bleach, I believe that the ammonia breaks it down to chlorine gas anyway.

Thanks everyone, will update!

You're on the right track. I've had tanks cycle in two weeks and some take as long as 6-8 weeks. It's difficult waiting but in the end you will have a robust filter ready for your new friends.

Finally! ;) at 4 weeks ive gotten nitrite. I added prime about two days ago when I was still getting nothing, so maybe it is a coincidence but I was getting impatient and wanted to try something different.

I have about 2ppm nitrites, 4ppm ammonia (I may have been over 4 before), and 0 nitrates. I'll keep an eye to make sure I don't get too high on the nitrites.

Would it be good to do a pwc at this point so I don't get too high on my nitrites if the more of the ammonia converts?

Thanks!

Tested again 20 hours later and I am now:
1 ppm ammonia
5 ppm nitrite
10 ppm nitrate

I'll wait until there is almost no ammonia before adding more so the nitrites can go down.

My question is: I leave for vacation in 6 days, I will be gone for a week and I plan to add fish when I return. Will my bacteria be ok for a week without fish or added ammonia? We also have a house sitter, I could have her add some fish food or ammonia once if needed.

Thanks!
Scott

I would add the ammonia to 2-4 ppm before you leave and test it when you get back. Expect to do a big water change because the nitrates should be very high.

I would add the ammonia to 2-4 ppm before you leave and test it when you get back. Expect to do a big water change because the nitrates should be very high.

Thanks, sounds good. I'll do a 50 percent water change before I go and dose up to 4ppm ammonia.

Now just have to decide what to get to stock the tank for when I get back :)

Tonight:
Ammonia: <0.25ppm (almost 0)
Nitrite: 5ppm
Nitrate: 40ppm

I plan to test again tomorrow and if nitrates are up to 80ppm I'll do a 50 percent water change

Nitrites were still around 5ppm yesterday so I did a 30 percent wc but all the rocks are in the bottom half do it may have been closer to 40-50 percent.

Today readings are:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 5ppm

I dosed 2 ppm ammonia and will see where it is at 24 hours

I converted 2 ppm ammonia to <0.25ppm in less than 24 hours, 0 nitrite and 5-10 nitrate. Take it I'm done? Fish come in 10 days so I'll just add a couple of ppm ammonia every few days till they get here and do a big water change before adding.

Attachments

• 1402019167279.jpg
    1402019167279.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 62
Nice! Looking forward to hearing about how the initial stocking goes! We are still cycling, but have some plants, I think we are 2 weeks behind you maybe? Though I didn't add anything but ammonia, and we didn't have the heater on to speed things up at first so it might take longer...lots of time for research since this is our first tank too!

Yes I had the heater at about 83-84f, later pointed the canister outflow upwards to generate some ripples and bought some prime, should have done both of those sooner because two days later I spiked nitrites and was finished cycling a week later.

What are you planning on stocking?

Howdy! This is a 20 gallon and we were planning on starting with white cloud minnows, then maybe 2 Amano shrimp. After that I was looking at the celestial pearl danios but I need to make sure they are farmed, or maybe maybe emerald eye rasboras? Also looking at Corys but want to find ones that are ok with gravel. What about you?

Back
Top Bottom