No nitrates in established tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dvanv

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there anyone else out there who doesn't have any nitrate reading in their tanks?

The only time this usually happens is if there are enough plants growing to soak up the nutrients. Otherwise it is a sign the tank has not cycled yet. How large of a bioload do you have? How large a tank?

The tank (5.5 gal) has been up for a year with 4 dwarf platies. Two tennis ball size clumps of java moss. I use the API testing kit and even got in touch with API to find out if I could find out if the kit had expired and it has not. All was well and very healthy. 20% weekly water changes and a temp of 78.

This is a bit unrelated (sorry) but it sounds like a really nice setup. Do you have any photos you can share? :D

That is a lot of java moss! I have 5.5 gallon tanks with a betta in each one. My first plant in these tanks was a very small handful of java moss, and even though a betta does not produce a large bioload, I never had a nitrate reading. Java moss is a very good nitrate absorber.

It's definitely possible you have very little nitrAte in the tank. The moss will soak up the nitrAtes (you have quite a bit in there :)), and the rest will be taken care of by the PWC's. Please just make sure you are REALLY shaking the #2 bottle for the duration the directions say. We've had several members have elevated nitrAte readings that due to improper procedure showed no nitrAtes on the test. I doubt this is your case, but I wanted to mention it for others that might be just getting started and have a similar issue without the low bioload and plants.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom