No nitrates or nitrites, day 9.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emclenaghan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am cycling my tank with fish, I know most people are opposed to that but I decided that frequent PWCs beat staring at a big empty tank.

Anyways, I got some filter media from my friends established tank and I have used the API stress zyme twice now. I have been keeping the ammonia at or below .25 ppm and I have been avoiding vacuuming the gravel.
I test the water daily with my API master test kit.

I am still not getting any nitrites or nitrates. I know there is not a straight answer for how long it takes the tank to cycle but is it normal for me to still not see any progress?

Also, the ammonia has never risen above 1.0 ppm (after which I did an emergency PWC) I read a lot about ammonia spikes and how they are part of the process, when they happen do they usually spike to levels above what I have seen?

It's hard to say, patience is the key. My tank took over 2 weeks before I saw any real action with the ammonia (spiking to 2 one day). I also had fish ( shame on us right ;). I did pwc daily for what seemed like forever...lol. It took my tank about a month before it remained stable. Hang in there!!!!

The Nitrogen Cycle should take anywhere between 4 - 8 weeks to complete depending what is in your tank and how fast you want your cycle to be moving. If you want your ammonia to start spiking and speed up, you need to start putting more flake fish food, a piece of vegetable, or put a fish or two in the tank and things should start rolling smoothly. If you have a few fish in the tank make sure you do a 10-15% water change weekly or bi-weekly.

-Donnie

Please do not put fish in the tank if you don't have any in already. Your cycle will move along, I promise. You dont wanna have to fish out dead fish do ya? lol

And if you did have fish in the tank youd' probably be doing 2 PWC EVERY day to keep them alive.

Finish what you started. You can do it!

whoopsie just read that you do in fact have fish. lol

I woudlnt add anymore thats for sure. And you should be close to the end, it takes awhile to get the nitrites since you are keeping your ammonia so low. Your fish will love you in the end. :))

Thanks Carey, I was wondering if the low ammonia had something to do with it taking awhile. Being patient is killing me but at least the fish are all happy through the process.

Yeah without the fish you can go to 4ppm on the ammonia and force the tank to cycle faster. But just keep doing your pwc when you get an ammonia reading. I used to check my tank twice a day I was excited for it to happen. LOL

Thanks Carey, I was wondering if the low ammonia had something to do with it taking awhile. Being patient is killing me but at least the fish are all happy through the process.
I also cycled my tank with fish. It took about a month before my tank was ready - thankfully the fish survived because the ammonia level stayed low but it was exciting seeing nitrites and then nitrates show up!

Don't get desperate, remeber that you chose this path, and depending of the size of the tank and the number of fish, it could be even slower versus a fishless cycle.

Be patience, keep reading, could take months before the tank is fully cycle, so 9 days is just the begining.

Keep reading and do you PWC as needed for the benefit of the fish, never put the cycle as a priority in top of the health of your fish, even if this means more waiting.

:D

I am cycling my tank with fish, I know most people are opposed to that but I decided that frequent PWCs beat staring at a big empty tank.

Anyways, I got some filter media from my friends established tank and I have used the API stress zyme twice now. I have been keeping the ammonia at or below .25 ppm and I have been avoiding vacuuming the gravel.
I test the water daily with my API master test kit.

I am still not getting any nitrites or nitrates. I know there is not a straight answer for how long it takes the tank to cycle but is it normal for me to still not see any progress?

Also, the ammonia has never risen above 1.0 ppm (after which I did an emergency PWC) I read a lot about ammonia spikes and how they are part of the process, when they happen do they usually spike to levels above what I have seen?
Just curious - how big is your tank, what type of fish are in there and how many?

I will say that cycling a tank with fish will take longer than doing a fishless cycle. It took close to 2 weeks before I saw any nitrItes appear in my tank and that was while performing a fishless cycle. Once the nitrItes appear you'll have to wait even longer for them to drop at which point you'll see nitrAtes appear. Like others have said, just be patient, continue testing your water and perform the necessary PWC's to keep the ammonia and eventually the nitrItes down.

So, I am not sure where I am at now. I tested this morning and ammonia was at .25ppm, nitrates were through the roof at about 2ppm and I finally have nitrates which were at 5ppm. So.... I am assuming that nitrates showing up doesn't mean that the cycle is complete?

I did a HUGE PWC. I probably replaced 75% of the water in there.

So, I am not sure where I am at now. I tested this morning and ammonia was at .25ppm, nitrates were through the roof at about 2ppm and I finally have nitrates which were at 5ppm. So.... I am assuming that nitrates showing up doesn't mean that the cycle is complete?

I did a HUGE PWC. I probably replaced 75% of the water in there.

Did you mean "nitrites" through the roof ????

If the nitrites are high, it is good, meaning your cycle is in the second phase, and the show of nitrates is also good.

The water change was a must for the well being of your fish. Don't worry if was big (75%) you are in the correct path...
Keep the PWC as needed to maintain low levels of ammonia and nitrites.

Back
Top Bottom