noisy corner filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambithegirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

yes i know it sounds a bit archaic but i have a corner filter because it came with my tank and i didnt know anything better at the time. I will probably be getting an aqauclear within a month and will just transfer the media (ceramic noodles and wool) to the HOB. But in the meantime I have a problem with a noisy corner filter. It is the ceramics vibrating against each other and the outside of the filter. If its on the bottom of the tank on the sand its quiet but i cant have it there as it takes up valuble space. My tank is small and im soon getting corys so i need as much space on the bottom as i can.

I attached two suction cups to the filter and it fits perfectly in the corner towards the top of the tank but when its there its quiet noisy.

Can i put some of my filter wool thats in there already, at the bottom of the noodles. So i will have one layer of wool, one of noodles and then another layer of wool on top?

Im just worried about my cylce. I just completed it and it took 35 days, I dont want to do anything to jeapordise it. I thought i could take a bucket of tank water, put the filter in there and carefully remove the media and rearrange it like i suggested above. Is that a good idea or will that mess with my now perfectly cycled tank. I would rather live with the noise if messing with the media is going to compromise the bio filter.

I would appreciate your expert opinions :fish2:

Hi all,
Can i put some of my filter wool thats in there already, at the bottom of the noodles. So i will have one layer of wool, one of noodles and then another layer of wool on top?

Im just worried about my cylce. I just completed it and it took 35 days, I dont want to do anything to jeapordise it. I thought i could take a bucket of tank water, put the filter in there and carefully remove the media and rearrange it like i suggested above. Is that a good idea or will that mess with my now perfectly cycled tank. I would rather live with the noise if messing with the media is going to compromise the bio filter.

I would appreciate your expert opinions :fish2:

I think that would be fine. The only thing that might go wrong is if the filter wool at the bottom gets clogged up with bits of leaves, and impedes the flow of water through the rest of the filter. But that should not happen for a bit.

As long as you are careful not to get any chlorinated water near the filter media, and not to let it dry out I don't think you'll have any problems.

Glad to hear you'll be able to get an aquaclear! :)

Back
Top Bottom