Noob here made a mistake, hoping you guys/gals can help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will try but I am on the app on my phone. Gimme a few ok

Have a question. I want to swap my fake plants for real plants to help with the cycling. What are good starter plants for a 10g and what else what I need

A good low light plant that is pretty impossible to kill and readily available is Java Fern. If you do decide to keep the molly(if you got it from walmart keep it they flush returned fish) it will be fine by itself for the time being.

A good low light plant that is pretty impossible to kill and readily available is Java Fern. If you do decide to keep the molly(if you got it from walmart keep it they flush returned fish) it will be fine by itself for the time being.

I didn't know Walmart did that. I don't ever buy fish from them but that an awful policy. How ever did you find out that's what they do?
Talk about reason number 101, why not to buy your fish from a chain store.

i would listen to the people on here not petsmart or your lfs to be honest i know a few people on here and in one way or another they pretty much know what they are talking about (no surprise their) as they have been doing it for years

but to be honest thier could be lots of reasons why your fish are doing that and behaving like they are the only thing i can is take on board everything my fishy friends have told you and it what i call POE process of elimination but i have to say fishless is the way to go when it comes to cycling even if you start now take a look at my treads and you might understand more

i can honesty say we all care about the fishes wefare here that i know for sure if you have any questions please ask any of us and good luck

Sorry for the stupid questions, but i dont want to further harm my mollys.[/QUOTE]

They aren't stupid questions. It was a stupid sales person that gave you the standard bad advice. And you were smart enough to look elsewhere for the right answers.
Ask all the questions you need to. That's why AA is here. To many stores give bad information so they can make a bigger sale.
At this point don't even ask the store about cycling your tank. They will instantly try to sell you all kinds of things with bacteria or to colonize bacteria or whatever. It's all a waste of money, there are NO additives that will cycle your tank. It just takes time.
Unless you know someone with an already established filter that they will loan to you. Run it and yours at the same time. The used filter will help bacteria grow in the new filter and in your gravel and on the fake plants & decorations.
Nothing the store will sell you can do that.
The store makes a lot of money selling CRUD that is useless, to the new fish keepers.
Before you buy, ask if it works here on AA. It can save you hundreds of dollars. I wish I had known about AA when I first started. I get nauseous if I think about how much money and how many fish I lost in the beginning, just from asking the "expert" at the store.
Good luck to you and welcome to AA your soon to be favorite place to hang out.

Sorry for the stupid questions hmmmm is thier such a thing NO if your not sure ask

as for your lfs you have to remember all they want is to sell the more the better for them just keep an open mind if your unsure ask on here you will get help

Well said. Be patient. And ask questions. Don't be upset when the advice isn't something you necessarily want to hear, ok

Well thank you Deckape lol and your right their too it might not be what you want to here but hay we have to take the rough with the smooth

Why thank you Sir Paul. I guess the OP got mad or something.....

WendiDell said:
Sorry for the stupid questions, but i dont want to further harm my mollys.

They aren't stupid questions. It was a stupid sales person that gave you the standard bad advice. And you were smart enough to look elsewhere for the right answers.
Ask all the questions you need to. That's why AA is here. To many stores give bad information so they can make a bigger sale.
At this point don't even ask the store about cycling your tank. They will instantly try to sell you all kinds of things with bacteria or to colonize bacteria or whatever. It's all a waste of money, there are NO additives that will cycle your tank. It just takes time.
Unless you know someone with an already established filter that they will loan to you. Run it and yours at the same time. The used filter will help bacteria grow in the new filter and in your gravel and on the fake plants & decorations.
Nothing the store will sell you can do that.
The store makes a lot of money selling CRUD that is useless, to the new fish keepers.
Before you buy, ask if it works here on AA. It can save you hundreds of dollars. I wish I had known about AA when I first started. I get nauseous if I think about how much money and how many fish I lost in the beginning, just from asking the "expert" at the store.
Good luck to you and welcome to AA your soon to be favorite place to hang out.[/QUOTE]

+1

I wish on had AA before I got my tank. I got the same advice you had. "24hrs before you add fish"

I bought 3 bottles of stress zyme and it did nothing. After the first one did nothing they said try another then another.

If you know some one with an established tank you can borrow some gravel or filter medium and put it in your water flow. This is the best way to speed things up.

What is what i have done lol on my 120th tank been going on a cycle now for three weeks or just over and in still not close but no one said it was easy all good things come to those that wait i guess

cichlidpaul said:
What is what i have done lol on my 120th tank been going on a cycle now for three weeks or just over and in still not close but no one said it was easy all good things come to those that wait i guess

You have 120 tanks???? Mmm

Goodness gracious...I thought it was.a typo for 120 gallon....u da man

Deckape said:
Goodness gracious...I thought it was.a typo for 120 gallon....u da man

Hmmm think we have crossed wires here deckape lol my tank is 120 gallons not i have that amount of tanks now that would be cool and a dream lol

Cycling takes forever, but it's worth it in the end. Thank all of you for the invaluable information you have provided me. We should do something about those darn lfs

Back
Top Bottom