Noob pH question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zorcher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am brand new to the hobby and am learning as I go. I have a 38 gallon freshwater tank, and have just started fishless cycling. My question is regarding pH. The water out of the faucet at my location is in the neighborhood of 8.0 pH. While most of what I read says to avoid chemical water additives, this level seems way too high. Is there anything I can do to lower this, or is this something to even worry about?

Hello and welcome to Aquarium Advice!
As for you're question, depending on what type of fish you are willing to get, most fish adapt to the pH of the water. The deadly factor is if the pH swings. Ex: you're fish live in pH 7,8 and the pH drops after a water change to 7, that can kill them.
As I said, some fish need specific acidic or alkaline water parameters, so it all depends on you're selection but most should be alright.

I am brand new to the hobby and am learning as I go. I have a 38 gallon freshwater tank, and have just started fishless cycling. My question is regarding pH. The water out of the faucet at my location is in the neighborhood of 8.0 pH. While most of what I read says to avoid chemical water additives, this level seems way too high. Is there anything I can do to lower this, or is this something to even worry about?

i have a PH of 8.2 and a dKH of 9 and have no problem with my fish, even my angels who prefer soft water are doing just fine. like fishanatic said, a stable PH is much more important

Back
Top Bottom