Not enough light for plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

resist-

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Starting a new 33 gals. aquarium soon, and I decided to get it planted with low light plants(anaubia, java moss, maybe java fern). But I juste realized the top of my aquarium can only get one 24" fluo bulb, which gives me only 20 watts.

That gets me 0,60 WPG, which is not enough according to guides i've read on the net.

I'm just wondering if the plants will be able to grow if I get a special fluo bulb at my LFS, like aquaglo or powerglo ? And maybe there's another way of optimizing lightning so my plants can grow decently ?

I'd really like to get another ballast to give me more WPG, but i'm moving now and i'm kinda out of money... so any temporary solution is good.

Are you a handy person?

Not really, but if i get some kind of plan or advice, I'm quite sure i'd be able to do it. I really like the idea. I'll google for some plans... Meanwhile if anyone tried one, I would be grateful if you send it to me. :cool:

worst case buy a incandescent hood and you can put 2x23 cfl bulbs in it. that should give you the light needed for those plants. its prob the cheapest option. you could also look into cf or t5.

If you are not as handy as these guys you can still get a retrofit kit....I just got a coralife retrofit kit from Big als....all I had to do was unscrew the old fluorescent tube guts from the housing and screw in the new one....had to make a couple new holes in the reflector since the screw holes didn't line up just right but it wasn't that hard....I did it all by myself and I was expecting to need my husbands help. I had it done in a few minutes....the hardest part was finding the right screw driver amongst all of his tools. :)

Coralife Aqualight Retrofit Kit-24"1x65 Watt 50/50 at Big Al's Online it came with a 50/50 bulb which I will use to keep the light level a bit lower until I am set up for CO2

This:
36 or 55 watt Bright Kits
is 1/3 the price of the Corallife & people have good thing to say about it.

The AH kit is about the same price of a DIY retrofit using parts from a hardware store, so if you are looking for an inexpensive upgrade, this is a good option.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't spend too much on fancy bulbs, etc. A good daylight fluorescent (if you can get one from the hardware store) is as good as any at that light level. Java ferns will survive at what you have, maybe not grow fast (or at all). You can try anubias, but that is more demanding of light compared to Java fern.

One way to "cheat" is to tie the plants to a rock or driftwood so that it is almost at the top of the water. Being closer to the bulb, it will get more light.
Similarly, you can try floating plants (eg duck weed & hornwort) although they will shade the tank below so you can't grow anything directly under them.

i will 2nd jsoong's link. ahsupply makes one of the best reflectors out there. if you are going to retrofit the hood its really the only option you want to think about. its really not that hard i was able to do mine even though power and me dont mix well.

Back
Top Bottom