Now the fun begins - what order to add these fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gd007

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, it appears that my fishless cycling project was a success. I have successfully grown bacteria that will chew down 4ppm Ammonia, and associated Nitrite produced, within 24 hours, in my 55 gal freshwater tank.

I realize that I could technically add all the fish at once but I don't think I can afford that all in one shot. Plus, my kids are anxious to see something in the tank aside from water, plants, bubbles, and snails...

I have decided on the following fish but would like to get your thoughts on which group to add 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc, if I have to spread out adding them:
  • 3 Sailfin Mollys
  • 3 Fancy Guppies
  • 5 Boesemani Rainbows
  • 12 Cardinal Tetras
  • 6 Panda Corys

I have two Penguin 350B filters on this tank and AqAdvisor indicates I'm:
  • 115% stocked
  • 36% water changes weekly

Which group of fish should I add this weekend?

Thanks,
-GD007

With those fish it doesn't really matter. They aren't territorial so adding them in a specific order won't really accomplish anything. Add whichever you would like first :)

You may want to switch to another cory species like bronze corys. Pandas are more fragile than most other cory species.

You could also look into small loaches like dwarf chain loaches, or if you have a 4 foot tank, burmese or yo yo loaches.

You should go ahead and add them all at once if you can financially afford it. Otherwise, just pick a group of fish and add them. I'd add the cardinals last as they're very shy fish and seeing other fish swimming around comfortably will calm them down.

I wouldn't do Molly's and Guppies simply because they will cross breed. Also be aware that Sailfin mollies grow up to 6 inches and have a very high bio-load.

Just wanted to say thanks to those that have been helping me. I am very excited to share that my first group of fish should arrive today (from thatfishplace.com). I purchased the 5 Boesemani Raindows and the 6 Panda Corys.

I agree with mistersprinkles, that panda corys are more fragile, but also cannot survive for a long time in water above 76 degrees. That is if they are tank bred. If wild caught it should be far lower. So if you water is above 76, they are not a good idea.

Also, I agree with rivercats that mollies and guppies, for one will breed like crazy, amongst each other and crossbreeding. Plus they have super high bioloads. Quite literally, between the mollies and the guppies, that is around half of your stock, based on bioload. That is why I personally despise livebearers, but it is really up to you. The truth is that you can have lots more fish without them.

How about going with all male endlers or something like that? You still get your livebearer fix but with population control.

yes - i'm working to convince the kids on the endlers. My kids are 6 and 4...
I got the Pandas and the Boesemani rainbows.

Back
Top Bottom