number of danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moheesviolin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. So I'm pretty new to the whole fish thing, we had a tank as a kid that I was not responsible for and I've kept bettas on occasion, and I want to make sure my fishies stay alive and well. I want to keep glofish (zebra danios with the GFP gene) and maybe a couple of the celestial pearl danios (Celestichthys margaritatus).
Can these be kept together since the celestial pearls are a good bit smaller than the zebra danios, and what is a good number of fish for my tank? I have a 20 gallon tank. I was thinking of having 11 fish. Is that too many?

I think they will do fine and I would go 6 of each put the glofish in a week after the others to be sure so the glofish are the new guys in town lol

Go with the glofish first and wait a few months on the celestials. They do a lot better in a well-established tank. They are not as hardy as the glofish, which are pretty easy to keep fish. Make sure to have good swimming space and a good number (6-10 works well) and they will be a great enjoyment.

Welcome to the site :)

I've never personally kept Celestial Pearl Danios, but a good friend of mine keeps them with Glofish and other Danios. He says the CPD's seem overwhelmed by the activity of the Glofish and tend to spend most of their time hiding. I'm not sure if that is an average interaction...but it's definitely his experience.

If you're new to fish-keeping, make sure you read up on cycling! There's a link in my signature you can check out ;-)

Good point to add, CPDs are not the usual super active danio. They tend to be lower to the ground and hide a lot. Lots of plants help to keep them more comfortable. There are many different types of danios out there and all are relatively easy for a shop to order for you.

Thanks all!
I have actually just started up my tank today for cycling and am planning on adding fishies at the end of the month. I'm using the flake fish food method for cycling since I don't have any aquarium buddies to give me some old bio media.

moheesviolin said:
Thanks all!
I have actually just started up my tank today for cycling and am planning on adding fishies at the end of the month. I'm using the flake fish food method for cycling since I don't have any aquarium buddies to give me some old bio media.

Good for you :). Your fish will thank you for building a safe home for them. Personally I'd recommend trying to find a bottle of pure ammonia to use instead of fish food. Pure ammo is easier to keep track of your levels, is cleaner and can avoid some nasty problems (fungus, mold, etc...) that are possible from using it. If you can't get your hands on some, make sure you are putting the fish food in a mesh bag when it is added.

If you haven't seen it, check out the guide and FAQ in my signature to get some info ;-)

Yeah, the reason I went with the food method is because I don't have a source for used bio media. I pretty much pulverized the flakes into nothingness then shook it all up in a cup of water from the tank and liquified it. I'm hoping that will prevent molds and fungi.
Getting my hands on pure ammonia would not actually be a problem for me, I work in a genetics lab!

moheesviolin said:
Yeah, the reason I went with the food method is because I don't have a source for used bio media. I pretty much pulverized the flakes into nothingness then shook it all up in a cup of water from the tank and liquified it. I'm hoping that will prevent molds and fungi.
Getting my hands on pure ammonia would not actually be a problem for me, I work in a genetics lab!

There's your answer :). The bio-media is a different issue entirely. The main thing you need for a fishless cycle is a pure source of ammonia to simulate having fish in the tank. As fish food decays it will leech ammo, but using a bottle of pure ammonia will cut out the middle man and instantly and cleanly dose the ammonia up to the proper level.

I don't want to get us off topic since it's a thread about Danios, but check out the guide thread in my signature and feel free to ask any questions there. Keep us updated! :)

I would only put danios in if it's a 20 long. A 20 high just doesn't give them enough space IMO. When full grown they are a good 2" long and are incredibly zippy and active. CPD's would definitely be terrified in a tank with glo's/danios. You would never even see them. Mine hide all the time just from a couple of sparkling gourami's. ;)

siva said:
I would only put danios in if it's a 20 long. A 20 high just doesn't give them enough space IMO. When full grown they are a good 2" long and are incredibly zippy and active. CPD's would definitely be terrified in a tank with glo's/danios. You would never even see them. Mine hide all the time just from a couple of sparkling gourami's. ;)

CPD's are a skittish fish anyway unless they are alone I think they will do fine in a 20 gallon just offer lots of hiding spots cause they hide often

I disagree. I don't think putting any timid nano fish with any highly active much larger fish is a good idea.

I disagree. I don't think putting any timid nano fish with any highly active much larger fish is a good idea.

If you offer lots of plants and hiding places, honestly they will be fine. Mine are in with harlequin rasboras and cherry barbs, who are all rather active. They actually come out and swim with them and have no issue going for the food. I think the option of having lots of places to run and hide to allows them to be more comfortable. Also, a large number of them helps.

I didn't even realise the tank was a 20h. Overlooked it, I guess. I'm not too sure about the glofish then...

I don't disagree that they will be fine, so to speak. I want my fish to be as comfortable as possible and I just don't think mixing very small timid fish with larger active fish is the best idea, JMO.

Back
Top Bottom