Nutrafin Waste Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F4A

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last week I purchased some Nutrafin Waste Control to try. After using the gravel vac today I can notice a big difference in the waste being sucked up. The waste now seems to be a lot smaller than before suggesting it was being broken up by the Waste Control.

I guess most people on here will argue that you don't actually need it but I am pleased to say it does work quite well anyway.

I just stop it at the source... Use food that breaks down better. Tetramin is great at that! Glad it worked for you though!

I use a range of food, including Tetramin.
Waste can also be poo and leaves though.

I like waste control too. Works well at reducing slime build up on bare discus tanks as well as keeping my airdriven sponge filters working better for longer. As for food, I 100% prefer Nutrafin Max. Excellent discus granules with solid garlic inclusion and the spriulina flakes with 38% Spirulina have really helped my blue discus color up...great food, high digestibility, in fact someother brands of food I've used I find there is less waste produced, seems like more is utilized by the fish vs. what is pooped out...

Seems silly to me, and completely unnecessary. Let the waste be broken down by non-supplemented processes, ie: nature. Why add chemicals when there is no need? Feed less or feed a different food.

That's what is in the bottle of waste control, nature's approach to keeping things clean in water...heterotrophic bacteria that break organics down and allow the resultant inorganic compounds to metabolized by nitrifiyers. I like keeping my discus tanks as clean as possible, bare bottoms with potted plants, really find Nutrafin Waste Control supports a healthier environment for my discus, also seems to slow down clogging of my air driven sponge filters...I have quite a few to clean..

Everyone should have an opinion but what its based on is usually a validity factor. Just to let you know there are natural restoration projects that use lab cultivated natural origin bacteria to desediment lakes and rivers. We humans are in many cases responsisble due to deforestation and the like of causing these circumstances so natural bacteria, the best strains are cultivated and we the taxpayer fund the restoration of waterways we have altered....Kind of like heavily populated aquariums that need some additional natural help, that is what Nutrafin Waste Control and Nutrafin Cycle are like to me, part of the reason I like those products...

I'm assuming those cultivated strains go directly from the lab to their intended destination, still fresh from nutrient agar (or whatever it may be) and living. My feeling is, that by the time everything reaches the shelf, bacterial conditions just aren't as ideal as the companies make them out to be. This is why there is, what I have gathered, so little success in using products that boast about the contents of bacteria. There must be some step in the chain of trade that dissociates the bacterial colonies from their ideal environment, therefore making the product completely useless. You can argue for SeaChem Stability with the bacteria in spore form (?), but I think that product is a load of rubbish.

In restoration projects, there must be a lot more caution and care in transporting those bacteria, no?

This is an interesting topic, but not the topic of this thread.

**Edit** One product I do stand by is BIO-Spira. It had to be kept refrigerated for the bacteria to remain alive. If even for a bit those bags of bacteria, held in a liquid nutrient medium, deviated from these ideal conditions, then you pretty much have a bag of liquid.

The period of time for specific desedimentation applications is certainly less than shelf time at retail for aquarium oriented product, but, there are ramp up times to build substantial quantities and storage periods involved as well. This example was only provided to demonstrate that this type of technology uses what nature has provided and on a major scale, it does substantially help aquarium environments that benefit in that the bioload ratio is very high. For a fact in regards to Nutrafin Waste Control and Cycle the studies and fine tuning of bacterial consortiums has gone on for over two decades, this is important as culturing and assessing data generated on how bacterial consortiums react to change and enviromental factors are done over generations, time consuming work. Biotechnology is a huge and very valuable field, it is a tool to remedy the many polluting things we do...its very applicable to aquarium management.

Back
Top Bottom