Odd Part

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ollymoran

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I have today set up my 100litre aquarium and have started cycling it for my new fishies i am gonna get.

Thing is there is a piece of weird flexible clear tube I am sure goes somewhere but i don't know what its for. It does not say anything on the instructions and the only place it fits is on the pump but it doesn't actually do anything just floats there. Its a small clear flexible tube with a black weird whatever on the other end! Does anyone know what this is for, as it must be there for some reason and i am a complete beginner.

I have an allpondsolutions 100litre tank with the HRX-600-100L pump.

Please help as its doing my head in!!

Those are called a venturi attachment. They allow your filter to draw air in through the tube and aerate the water more. I don't like them because they cause too many bubbles but I can see where they would be really really useful.

This is it attached to the pump, which I'm not 100% where it goes

image-2170769312.jpg

Yep, definitely a venturi. There should be a small hole for the airline tube to fit in and a place above the water line for it to clip onto. Just twist the black top a little bit and you will see what it does when the filter is running.

Have sorted it now and it's firing out a stream of air into the water.

I also have 2 snorkel thingys hanging in my tank. One is producing bubbles and the other is but not as much. Is this correct

image-1023258506.jpg

Snorkel thing in water

Yep, sounds about right to me. You can remove the venturi attachment if you want, its not necessary.

Great, just making sure I have everything ok. How long do you think I have to let it cycle before I add any fish? I am not in a hurry and I know it takes a while.

Thanks. Have got up this morning and have a problem with my heater. Does the heater cut off when it's warm enough as the light on the Heater seems to have gone off???

They certainly do as long as you don't have a really really crappy heater. Otherwise they would boil the tank :eek:

What's the temp of your tank?

It's an all pond solutions heater 100w it came with tank and is brand new. My temperature strip thing ( which I hate!! ) which came with it says 26 But I only set the thermometer to 25??? I want another thermometer though as I don't really trust that one.

Sounds like the heater is doing it's job to me. Those strip thermometers aren't all that bad and are surprisingly accurate. The thing I don't like about it is that it's hard to get rid of the residue after you pull it off.

Was thinking of getting a digital one. I think they look better, the strip ones look cheap!! Does it usually hear the tank higher than the heater is set then?? I don't wanna put the fish in one day and its too hot or cold.

Sometimes they do. You just have to find the sweet spot on them. Then again it could have just raised higher due to summer temps.

Back
Top Bottom