Oh man, what'd i get myself into? (10g tank)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I remember owning a 20g fish tank when i was younger, but my brother mostly took care of it and i probably only cleaned it once... Anyway recently i've been feeling a bit down/nervous and i've read in a couple of places that watching fish swim around can have a calming effect, so I decided, hey, i'm gonna get me some fish ;) (sides, i already own a few mammals, i want me some aquatic friends!)

Unfortunately i don't have a single clue how to care for one. I bought a starter kit (10g) to begin with.

I have it all set up now, running and filtering it. I don't want any 'fancy fish' just yet lol, so i'm wondering what type of 'starter' fish i should get. Also, how long should i wait before adding fish into the tank?

any help would be greatly appreciated!! :flowers:

I remember owning a 20g fish tank when i was younger, but my brother mostly took care of it and i probably only cleaned it once... Anyway recently i've been feeling a bit down/nervous and i've read in a couple of places that watching fish swim around can have a calming effect, so I decided, hey, i'm gonna get me some fish ;) (sides, i already own a few mammals, i want me some aquatic friends!)

Unfortunately i don't have a single clue how to care for one. I bought a starter kit (10g) to begin with.

I have it all set up now, running and filtering it. I don't want any 'fancy fish' just yet lol, so i'm wondering what type of 'starter' fish i should get. Also, how long should i wait before adding fish into the tank?

Well you should wait 1 week - 2 weeks just with water running and what kind of tank are wanting ??

Knave said:

You need to cycle your tank first. Just letting it run won't cycle it. You need to invest in a liquid test kit, API master test kit is recommended and used by many here, they can be found on amazon for about $20. Many people say to do a fish less cycle, but you can also do a fish in cycle IF you want fish right away and if you have the time to dedicate to water changes. If you decide to do a fish in cycle basically you do water changes anytime your ammonia or nitrite levels get above .25. This will involve testing your water possibly daily but at the least everyday, possibly even doing multiple water changes in one day. If you go fishless you don't need to do water changes near as often and just need to test your water and add a pure ammonia source. I'll be back with some links to articles for you to read.

The link to fish in cycling
https://s-static.ak.facebook.com/co...ow/Page2.html&fb_xd_fragment#xd_sig=fb13047a&

And the fishless cycle article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-a...-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to cycle your tank first. Just letting it run won't cycle it. You need to invest in a liquid test kit, API master test kit is recommended and used by many here. Many people say to do a fish less cycle, but you can also do a fish in cycle IF you want fish right away and if you have the time to dedicate to water changes. If you decide to do a fish in cycle basically you do water changes anytime your ammonia or nitrite levels get above .25. This will involve testing your water possibly daily but at the least everyday, possibly even doing multiple water changes in one day. If you go fishless you don't need to do water changes near as often and just need to test your water and add a pure ammonia source. I'll be back with some links to articles for you to read.

Why would you do multiple water changes a day who has time for stuff like that

Cichlidguy101 said:
Why would you do multiple water changes a day who has time for stuff like that

Ummm... To keep your ammonia and nitrite levels down so it doesn't poison your fish and kill them? Just letting him know what a fish in cycle will involve if he wants to go that route and not
Kill his fish. I cycled a 10g with 2 platys and there days I had to do multiple water changes, some I had to do back to back (change the water, wait an hour and test water and if levels weren't at a safe level do another water change). To high nitrite or ammonia levels will kill fish. And as

Cichlidguy101 said:
Why fresh water should not be that much work it's not like he's going to have a discus or a saltwater tank

Like I said, I cycled a 10g with only 2 platys which are obviously freshwater fish and are very easy fish to care for. Platys have a larger bioload and are poop machines so that is probably why i had days multiple water changes were necessary, that could possibly be avoided if he used a less messy fish with a smaller bioload. I had the time because I was out of work on maternity leave and was home everyday. Also having a smaller tank like a 10g toxins (aka ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) build up quicker because there isn't as much space like there are in larger aquariums.

Knave said:

I completely got side tracked about answering your question about what fish to get sorry! Since you have a 10g your options are very limited. Guppies are very easy fish and colorful, you could do a single betta (and believe me the betta will really appreciate the room!), or even some endlers livebearers, their very small so you could have a good many in a 10g.

greetings.

it is possible to have an aquarium without doing water changes, but then we are talking about a good hardy, multi-layered thick substrate, live plants and probably only 20-40% stocking level.

you have to keep in mind, that it is natural for water to be changed out.
let's take a lake. water comes from rain, and water runs down into the ground below the lake into the water mirror. water comes in, water comes out. you are doing the exact same thing by WCs. remove "used" water, and add fresh water.

also, i'd recommend avoiding going off track in this thread and assisting the OP.

nereksnad said:
greetings.

it is possible to have an aquarium without doing water changes, but then we are talking about a good hardy, multi-layered thick substrate, live plants and probably only 20-40% stocking level.

you have to keep in mind, that it is natural for water to be changed out.
let's take a lake. water comes from rain, and water runs down into the ground below the lake into the water mirror. water comes in, water comes out. you are doing the exact same thing by WCs. remove "used" water, and add fresh water.

also, i'd recommend avoiding going off track in this thread and assisting the OP.

I did, gave him links to the fish in and fish less cycle and recommended a few fish for his tank :)

I'm a newbie also and the water changes can sound overwhelming. I did a fish in cycle and had to do quite a bit but once I got into a routine I found WC as calming as sitting down and watching my fish. It's all became a very soothing thing for me so I hope the same happens for you!

Lilmack07 said:
I'm a newbie also and the water changes can sound overwhelming. I did a fish in cycle and had to do quite a bit but once I got into a routine I found WC as calming as sitting down and watching my fish. It's all became a very soothing thing for me so I hope the same happens for you!

Very well said!

Op, after cycling some suggestions for fish I have are... 1 make betta with a snail or 2 and some shrimp. Some people put multiple female bettas In a tank, that could be awesome. Or some guppies, I suggest more then3 in my experience guppy number 3 gets bullied by the others. Have fun!

Cichlidguy101 said:
My fish are happy and calm down every one I'm going to do water changes tonight

Yay!!!! Seriously if you do a 25% water change and vacuum your gravel during that change this whole post was for a good cause :) don't completely change your filters when you do, they have all the good bacteria in them, just swoosh them out in a bucket of old tank water maybe 1 time a month, don't change them unless they are literally falling apart, assuming you have a hang on back filter. -doing a happy dance for your fish :)

Teakwood said:
Yay!!!! Seriously if you do a 25% water change and vacuum your gravel during that change this whole post was for a good cause :) don't completely change your filters when you do, they have all the good bacteria in them, just swoosh them out in a bucket of old tank water maybe 1 time a month, don't change them unless they are literally falling apart, assuming you have a hang on back filter. -doing a happy dance for your fish :)

Listen to this advice. If you toss your filter media you'll restart the cycle in your tank. And don't rinse with anything other than tank water. Tap will kill off all the beneficial bacteria

Well that escalated quickly...

:hide:

lol, the type of fish i'm planning on getting are tropical. I have a heater in there that keeps it around 78f (25c).

And like i said before, i haven't a clue on what type of fish would be great for a beginner... :confused:

what size tank are you getting again?? i sould suggest 3 or six guppies, and 4-5 cories. lol

Knave said:

lol, the type of fish i'm planning on getting are tropical. I have a heater in there that keeps it around 78f (25c).

And like i said before, i haven't a clue on what type of fish would be great for a beginner... :confused:

Do you want colorful fish? If so guppies or endlers live bearers are very colorful. You could do a single betta or even a couple of FEMALE bettas.

Knave said:

Yea sorry bout that lol. I would go with a smaller schooling fish and a couple snails for a clean up crew. You could probably get away with like 5 rummy nose tetras and as far as snails go, I haven't got a ton of experience so ill let someone else make a recommendation there

Knave said:

I posted some options a while back :) you could do a male betta tank with snails and shrimp, some people keep a group for female bettas together, there are awesome looking guppies also. Most people would say avoid tetras since they like more space to swim. Gauramis can look cool but tend to be a bit aggressive and territorial so pic other fish carefully.

Teakwood said:
I posted some options a while back :) you could do a male betta tank with snails and shrimp, some people keep a group for female bettas together, there are awesome looking guppies also. Most people would say avoid tetras since they like more space to swim. Gauramis can look cool but tend to be a bit aggressive and territorial so pic other fish carefully.

Agreed a betta would be plenty happy in a 10 gal.

Back
Top Bottom