Okay Betta Set-Up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your tanks are BEAUTIFUL- and I'm super jealous! I was told that I couldn't use sand...if I had known it'd be okay, I definitely would have gone that route. Your tanks make me want to go up a size :D

I have some anachris in my tank (not very much light). It grows very quickly just floating on the surface. My betta sleeps in it every night.

Mokapi said:
Your tanks are BEAUTIFUL- and I'm super jealous! I was told that I couldn't use sand...if I had known it'd be okay, I definitely would have gone that route. Your tanks make me want to go up a size :D

Sand is the way to go IMO. Looks nice, easy to clean and plants love it!

I might have to switch! Will the ghost shrimp still be okay? I might pick up either white or natural this weekend. I'll have to decide which color goes best with a red and black fish.
I am extremely excited to buy my plants tomorrow :p

Mokapi said:
I might have to switch! Will the ghost shrimp still be okay? I might pick up either white or natural this weekend. I'll have to decide which color goes best with a red and black fish.
I am extremely excited to buy my plants tomorrow :p

The shrimp will love it. All the bits of food will sit on the top of the sand unlike gravel where it gets stuck in the cracks.

Sweet! Yeah I'll totally look into that tomorrow. I'll test my water too...it'll just be from the strips, but it'll be something until I can get that API kit ordered.

Mumma.of.two said:
Yea those plants will grow fine. You can try some sort of moss and some hornwort. They will both grow in very low lighting.

Haha yea! Mokapi, i just threw out a load of hornwort almost the size of a soccer ball yesterday...i would definatly give you some!

LOL, I'd love some- we don't sell it, and I don't want to make the drive down to The Reef to see if they do!

Would adding two more shrimp be too much? Ruber's learned to leave the ghost shrimp alone, so I don't think he'd eat new ones. I just love watching them glide around.

Mokapi said:
LOL, I'd love some- we don't sell it, and I don't want to make the drive down to The Reef to see if they do!

Would adding two more shrimp be too much? Ruber's learned to leave the ghost shrimp alone, so I don't think he'd eat new ones. I just love watching them glide around.

Iv never shipped anything before, but ill find out how!

Yes, you should put alot of shrimp in there! Shrimp tanks are the coolest! Providing ruber doesnt eat them of course

Did you ever figure out if your heater is working? Does it have a light telling you when it's on? Does it have an adjustment knob?

In the meantime you could move it to a warm location in your house. For instance, one of our tanks is right next to our snakes cage, and it doesn't even need a heater because of the snake's heat lamp. I would get the thermometer asap, there like $1.19 at Wal-Mart if your store is still out. Cold water can make fish lethargic.

It's a very simple heater...nothing fancy like that. I noticed just a few minutes ago, after coming in from the cold, that the water felt very warm to my touch...so I'm hoping it is working. I would move it somewhere warm, but unfortunately my apartment is kept at about 66 degrees 24/7. He is right next to a lamp that doesn't have a shade- I could keep the lamp on more? I will be going to Walmart later today, though, so if I find a thermometer I'll definitely pick it up.

@Gboy: if you're serious about shipping some, I'll message you my e-mail so we can get it worked out!

He's spending more and more time laying inside that ornament...should I take it out? >.>

I would leave the ornament in for now, it sounds like he really likes it. If he's still hiding in a few weeks you could take it out.

Okay! Back again.

I picked up Anubias and Java fern...but I doubt I planted them correctly. I kinda just dug little holes in the gravel and shoved them down in there. The Anubias' roots look disgusting...and when I tried scraping the gel off, the roots literally fell off :( So I doubt it'll live. The java fern may be a safer bet?

Is there a taller plant that would grow? One of the sword type plants, maybe? I held off on the anachris, just because I needed to see these plants in there to picture it, but I'm going back in for it tomorrow.

I did another PWC. I think it helps Ruber...he gets excited and swims around. I took out those fake plants, so I'm hoping his tail will heal. I think I'm also going to leave the lamp light and the LEDs on as much a I can remember to.

I checked the price of sand- 18$ per bag. On the 8th, we get 30% off, so I'm going to research the heck out of sand as a substrate and see.

I found the API kit too! It's just pricey- 32$- so I'm going to wait until the 8th for that as well. I'm SO excited.

I also think I found the 5 gallon I'm going to upgrade him to- I'm going to wait a few months, but there's a decent one by Marineland. I'm also really interested in this 16 gallon bowfront, so he may get that instead.

Wow sounds good! Just check out craigslist, you can find some crazy deals on there. Get a 10 gallon for ruben with everything for less that 30 bucks! Im researching plant shipping!

Mokapi said:
Okay! Back again.

I picked up Anubias and Java fern...but I doubt I planted them correctly. I kinda just dug little holes in the gravel and shoved them down in there. The Anubias' roots look disgusting...and when I tried scraping the gel off, the roots literally fell off :( So I doubt it'll live. The java fern may be a safer bet?

Is there a taller plant that would grow? One of the sword type plants, maybe? I held off on the anachris, just because I needed to see these plants in there to picture it, but I'm going back in for it tomorrow.

I did another PWC. I think it helps Ruber...he gets excited and swims around. I took out those fake plants, so I'm hoping his tail will heal. I think I'm also going to leave the lamp light and the LEDs on as much a I can remember to.

I checked the price of sand- 18$ per bag. On the 8th, we get 30% off, so I'm going to research the heck out of sand as a substrate and see.

I found the API kit too! It's just pricey- 32$- so I'm going to wait until the 8th for that as well. I'm SO excited.

I also think I found the 5 gallon I'm going to upgrade him to- I'm going to wait a few months, but there's a decent one by Marineland. I'm also really interested in this 16 gallon bowfront, so he may get that instead.

Look up what a rhizome is. You don't want to put that part if the anubia or java fern under the substrate. I'm not 100% sure in the anubia but the java fern doesn't take nutrients thought it's roots they are just used as anchors (to attach to wood, etc).

His tail will heal with clean water.

If you are not going to buy the test kit now you need to be doing 50%+ PWC a day to keep his water conditions acceptable. The next 4-8 weeks the tank will be cycling so PWC are important for his health.

Back
Top Bottom