Okay Betta Set-Up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mokapi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
On Saturday I moved my betta from a bowl into a 3.5g tank. It has a small heater that may or may not be working (it's an up-to-5-gallon heater, but the water doesn't feel warm at all) and a Tom Mini Internal filter. The tank originally came with a small filter that was way too powerful; Ruber (the betta) really sort of avoided the entire left side of the tank and stayed near the bottom a lot. I switched to the Tom on the advice of my manager, because it has adjustable power levels and the spout can be turned just about every which way. I think Ruber actually enjoys it now, too. It looks like he's playing in the current.*

It's not live-planted (I don't think I can in such a small tank), but there are two fake plants and a fake piece of driftwood with a hole in it. I see him resting on the plants and ornament sometimes. There's also a moss ball floating around in there, and two small ghost shrimp. When the shrimp were first introduced, Ruber chased them around and flared at the larger one, but now they seem to be getting along just fine. I'm hoping to add two cherry shrimp too, but I can't find them anywhere and will probably have to go to a speciality store. Bummer.*

I didn't cycle the tank because I was extremely concerned about just getting him out of the bowl, but I used tap water that had sat out and a betta-specific water conditioner that has green tea and aloe in it. I haven't done a water change yet and I don't own a gravel vac, but I can pick one up at work and can get the water tested there as often as I want as well. The water has finally acquired that "fishy" smell, which kind of tells me it's time for a water change.*

At work, the bettas get frozen blood worms and seem to gobble them up, but we only sell cubes of them and that seems kind of pointless since I'd need so few. I'm feeding him freeze-dried bloodworms and betta pellets, but neither really seem to interest him so I'll have to start looking for something else. The shrimp are getting fed their own sinking pellets.*

I think he's getting brighter, but I haven't seen anything that resembles a bubble nest so I'm worried he's stressed out and unhappy. What can I do to make things better for him? Is there a different food? Should I do a water change now? What should I change about the general set up? Does he have enough space? I'd like to figure out how to upload a picture, but I'm on my phone and it's giving me some trouble.*

Thanks!

3.5 isn't awful, 5 is better but 3.5 is fine. My bettas love a Omega One betta pellets and sometimes freeze dried blood worms to change it up. No tank is too small to plant, i'd recommend live plants if it's possible for you. I would do a water change ever day if the tank isn't cycled. So far so good though, seems like you want to take good care of your betta :)

3.5 isn't awful, 5 is better but 3.5 is fine. My bettas love a Omega One betta pellets and sometimes freeze dried blood worms to change it up. No tank is too small to plant, i'd recommend live plants if it's possible for you. I would do a water change ever day if the tank isn't cycled. So far so good though, seems like you want to take good care of your betta :)

I do want a 5 gallon eventually, but probably not until after the 1st of the year. Can plants grow with LED lighting? It's pretty poor lighting IMO...he's kept next to a lamp, but it's only on early mornings and late nights. And what percentage of a water change? 10, 25, 50?

since its a small tank i would do about 30% or around a gallon a day if thats possible. do you test your water parameters at all?

I do want a 5 gallon eventually, but probably not until after the 1st of the year. Can plants grow with LED lighting? It's pretty poor lighting IMO...he's kept next to a lamp, but it's only on early mornings and late nights. And what percentage of a water change? 10, 25, 50?

i would get at least 2 watts per gallon, i don't know how many watts your LED's are but they might be able to grow some low-light plants

I haven't tested my water yet, but I work again Thursday and can test some then. I also have a gallon set out already, so it shouldn't be a big deal to change the water Thursday too (after I buy the gravel vac).

As far as the LEDs go, I honestly have no clue. I'll have to either call the customer service line or google it, but so far I haven't found anything on the papers included in the packaging. What are some plants that would be okay?

Oh cool! I can look into buying both of those :D I'm a little scared to test the water, just because I feel like it'll be hard to fix. I know the water is very hard (good ole Indiana water), definitely.

usually fish can adapt to ranges not too far outside of their range, as long as it doesnt fluctuate really bad then you should be fine.

Fish can adapt to different pH and hardness. As long as it stays stable and isn't in the extremes.
You really need to be doing PWC (partial water change) every day in a cycling tank. You do not want ammonia or nitrites too high or they could damage or stress your Betta leading to disease.
Here is a write up on fish in cycling.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
You don't need to let the water sit out. You need to get a good dechlorinator (I like prime) to remove the chlorine and chloramine from your tap water. Letting it sit only gasses off the chlorine. The chloramine still remains.
You can never do too many PWC. Fresh water = healthy fish :)

Mokapi said:
On Saturday I moved my betta from a bowl into a 3.5g tank. It has a small heater that may or may not be working (it's an up-to-5-gallon heater, but the water doesn't feel warm at all) and a Tom Mini Internal filter. The tank originally came with a small filter that was way too powerful; Ruber (the betta) really sort of avoided the entire left side of the tank and stayed near the bottom a lot. I switched to the Tom on the advice of my manager, because it has adjustable power levels and the spout can be turned just about every which way. I think Ruber actually enjoys it now, too. It looks like he's playing in the current.*

It's not live-planted (I don't think I can in such a small tank), but there are two fake plants and a fake piece of driftwood with a hole in it. I see him resting on the plants and ornament sometimes. There's also a moss ball floating around in there, and two small ghost shrimp. When the shrimp were first introduced, Ruber chased them around and flared at the larger one, but now they seem to be getting along just fine. I'm hoping to add two cherry shrimp too, but I can't find them anywhere and will probably have to go to a speciality store. Bummer.*

I didn't cycle the tank because I was extremely concerned about just getting him out of the bowl, but I used tap water that had sat out and a betta-specific water conditioner that has green tea and aloe in it. I haven't done a water change yet and I don't own a gravel vac, but I can pick one up at work and can get the water tested there as often as I want as well. The water has finally acquired that "fishy" smell, which kind of tells me it's time for a water change.*

At work, the bettas get frozen blood worms and seem to gobble them up, but we only sell cubes of them and that seems kind of pointless since I'd need so few. I'm feeding him freeze-dried bloodworms and betta pellets, but neither really seem to interest him so I'll have to start looking for something else. The shrimp are getting fed their own sinking pellets.*

I think he's getting brighter, but I haven't seen anything that resembles a bubble nest so I'm worried he's stressed out and unhappy. What can I do to make things better for him? Is there a different food? Should I do a water change now? What should I change about the general set up? Does he have enough space? I'd like to figure out how to upload a picture, but I'm on my phone and it's giving me some trouble.*

Thanks!

So do you work at a fish store or somthing?

Fish can adapt to different pH and hardness. As long as it stays stable and isn't in the extremes.
You really need to be doing PWC (partial water change) every day in a cycling tank. You do not want ammonia or nitrites too high or they could damage or stress your Betta leading to disease.
Here is a write up on fish in cycling.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!
You don't need to let the water sit out. You need to get a good dechlorinator (I like prime) to remove the chlorine and chloramine from your tap water. Letting it sit only gasses off the chlorine. The chloramine still remains.
You can never do too many PWC. Fresh water = healthy fish :)

Do you think I should use the Prime INSTEAD of the betta stuff, or in conjunction with it? I could easily make the PWC part of my nightly routine, I'll just have to make sure I know exactly how to do it.

@Gboy66: I work at a PetSmart in pet care, which encompasses fish/birds/small pets/reptiles. I consider myself to be very knowledgable about small pets, but the rest, especially fish, I'm still learning about. My manager is very experienced with fish, though. At least in my opinion, LOL.

imo, i wouldn't use prime in conjunction with the other. for a pwc

1. empty out the desired amount of water
2. get that same amount of water within a few degrees of the temp of your tank
3.put in the water conditioner
4. add the water carefully baack into the tank making sure you dont crush your fishy

that is how i do my pwc's and it works for me. its pretty simple but do what works best for you

Mokapi said:
Do you think I should use the Prime INSTEAD of the betta stuff, or in conjunction with it? I could easily make the PWC part of my nightly routine, I'll just have to make sure I know exactly how to do it.

@Gboy66: I work at a PetSmart in pet care, which encompasses fish/birds/small pets/reptiles. I consider myself to be very knowledgable about small pets, but the rest, especially fish, I'm still learning about. My manager is very experienced with fish, though. At least in my opinion, LOL.

Cool! Ya, i assumed you werent a fish section worker, but you soon will be!! Your going to learn a ton within the next week haha. Soo...wanna get us all discounts? ;) hahaha

BHead707 said:
imo, i wouldn't use prime in conjunction with the other. for a pwc

1. empty out the desired amount of water
2. get that same amount of water within a few degrees of the temp of your tank
3.put in the water conditioner
4. add the water carefully baack into the tank making sure you dont crush your fishy

that is how i do my pwc's and it works for me. its pretty simple but do what works best for you

+1
I have never heard of the special Betta conditioner. But if it dechlorinates it will be fine to use up then you can get some prime. :)

If I don't have to set the water out overnight, then I should definitely be able to do these water changes. I'm not sure if this dechlorinates (I doubt it, since it doesn't say so on the label), but it's an API product and just says "betta water conditioner". I'll pick up some Prime, just to be safe.

I get a 15% discount that's kinda helpful...:p

I LOVE the anubias plant. I want to use it in my Fluval for sure.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why my heater wouldn't be doing a great job? It's for a max. 5 gallon, but the water REALLY seems cool.

Mokapi said:
If I don't have to set the water out overnight, then I should definitely be able to do these water changes. I'm not sure if this dechlorinates (I doubt it, since it doesn't say so on the label), but it's an API product and just says "betta water conditioner". I'll pick up some Prime, just to be safe.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why my heater wouldn't be doing a great job? It's for a max. 5 gallon, but the water REALLY seems cool.

Pick up a glass thermometer when your getting the prime :) Never trust the heaters settings.

Mokapi said:

Yes, i love the way it looks and its a very easy plant. Much more attractive than java fern IMO.
But java fern is also a very interesting plant.

And you really should get a thermometer. I like the digital ones. And around 76 degree water does feel cool to the touch

Back
Top Bottom