Okay, this is getting frustrating!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonChild

Aquarium Advice Regular
I tested my water yet again. It has been about 3 weeks since I added plants. Still maintaining water changes, although only 2 times a week now due to the fry... don't want to stress the lil' ones.

The levels came back tonight as this:

NitrItes: 0 ppm
Ammonia: 0 ppm
pH: 7.0
NitrAtes: 20 ppm

I am setting some tap water out for testing in the morning, but still....this is getting annoying. We can't figure out what it is!!

Any suggestions or advice??

Im not exactly sure what is wrong with your reading... It's normal to get nitrate readings in a tank.

I'm not sure how many plants you added but it may not be enough to bring nitrates down by them selves. Just keep up on the weekly water changes.

20ppm of nitrates is ok. No need to worry unless it gets above 40ppm. Keep up the good work.
Let us know if you get a nitrate reading on the tap water.

Agreed. That's an ok nitrate reading. If it worries you that much, do a water change 2x this week, however, it is not necessary at all.

Nitrates can get a great deal higher than 40 even without necessarily harmful effects, depending on the fish. Most people like to keep them under 40. I think things are looking great in the tank, DC!

:oops:

Okay, I thought that all levels were supposed to be zero...didn't realize that some nittrates were alright.

The tap water came back 0 ppm. The plants are dwarf hair grass and parrot's feather (???????).

Thanks guys, and for not laughing at me when I spazzed. *gryns* Here is an email that i got back from another fish tank enthusiest.

"Congratulations on your great water parameters! In freshwater aquariums, the appearance of nitrates suggests that the biological filtration system is operating. It is recommended that nitrate levels be kept under 60 ppm. Have you checked the nitrate level of the water you are using for water changes? You may want to add a few additional plants to reduce the current level of nitrates. If they are too high, one result will be an algae problem; however it sounds as though your tank is very stable.

Sincerely,
Jill"

Back
Top Bottom