old fish tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericnc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there.

Well first of all id like to state that im really new to this and just started to do reasrch. And im in a dillema right now. Caouse ive got an few years old fish tank which in my verw is in very bad state. And what i want to do is to try new cycle and see what will happen. Off corse i would change all filters clen the pump and everithing else.

Now what id like to know is if it would be safe and if there are things i should whatch out for.

I am planing on bying a complete new tank but im jus

I suggest just giving it a good clean and scrubbing, without soap of course, and just drive right in!

Good luck, if you have more questions ask away.

Peace,
Ben

Ok now ive got it clean and set up. For now wihout the sand just filled the tank with tap water set the temp on 86F and some flakes to feed BB. Than in 2 weeks ill check the watter with testers. This way im gonna make first fishless cycle to see if it all will work and if my tank is still up to it. Because from what i know the tank is 10years old and was dry for 3years. I hope im doing this the right way.

Btw this firs cycle will only be a test one. After it is done im gonna do a new one. Cause i want to do it right before the fish go in

I hope you checked the sealing compounds closely. If the tank sat dry for a long period of time the silicone could start to deteriorate or something could have gouged at it and you could end up with some seeping or worse.

To be on the safe side, I would set the tank up somewhere that a leak couldnt damage such as a garage or something like that and let it sit for a week or so to make sure it holds water.

But thats me and I tend to lean towards the conservative side of cautious... :)

:fish2:

Lool well i didnt check closely. But now im afraid. Cause i have it on a stand and i wont be home for next few days. Guess the only thing to do now is to pray =p

Lool well i didnt check closely. But now im afraid. Cause i have it on a stand and i wont be home for next few days. Guess the only thing to do now is to pray =p

I didnt mean to scare you... Like I said, I take things very cautiously...

Here's hoping it all goes well....

Back
Top Bottom