Old tank, new setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reel1090

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
First post here. Hope I am not asking an old question.
I started a 20gal fresh water tank about 5 or 6 years ago. I had a CO2 injection system and it was beautiful. All the plants were doing great. It lasted this way for about 4 or 5 years until I made a mistake. I got some plants from a LHS and they came with snails. Needless to say, in a few months all my beautiful plants were distroyed. I tried to get rid of the snails by transfering the fish to another tank, but somehow the snails also came along. At this point I got discouraged and just left the tank in this condition. No filter, no light, but somehow the fish (guppies) kept going. Now that I got my interest back, do I have to completely tear down the tank, clean and start a new cycle, or can I just vaccume the gravel, scrape the sides, start filtering again, and add some plants and light?

How long has the tank been off?
Yes you will have to tear down the tank and start new. More than likely after leaving the filter off for a period of time you've starved the BB causing it to die. IMHO it's best to start with a clean slate, less problems that way.
Do you still have the guppies?
Oh and of course
~*Welcome to AA*~

Yes, my guppies are doing great. I feed them and the water does not smell. That is why I thought I could just try to clean up what I have.

Well regardless on how you decide to clean the tank whether it be wiping it down, starting the filter etc. or completely breaking it down and starting new, your tank is still going to have to cycle all over again. So if your deciding to go with a fish in cycle then starting with good clean water would be your best bet of ensuring the survival of the guppies.

Back
Top Bottom