Omg !!! So excited!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm getting a 55 g in the morning with stand, hood, light and filter for 75.00 now i can try and start something right :) I'll need your help of course

Oooh thats exciting!! I'm so jealous, I had to buy a used 50 gal, and since I'm in a small town, they only sold the tank and light, no filter or stand... for $250!
Just a tip, try reading up on the nitrogen cycle, and it would be awesome for all the fishes sakes to do a fishless cycle :D

Oh it is used ... The new ones around here are 170 something without stand ;) I'm def planning on a fishless cycle :) I'm excited;) Woot Woot :)

Is it gonna be planted?! If so...put the fluorite in before the top layer like peagravel or sand...lol

This is epic! Congratulations! =D

When you get it, be sure to take pictures for us! Would love to see it through its stages of setup.

I got my 29G used too, for 50 on Craigs. Came with a filter, gravel, lots of decoration, hood, light, two aerators, and all sorts of other things with it. Sometimes used is the best deal you can get! Be sure to leak test too though. :]

Lucky! Gotta love all the enthusiasm. You guys sound so exited, It almost is like you guys are getting tanks too! Lol, can't wait to see pictures! As for stocking... My personal favorite... Orange laser cories and rainbow shark.

I know it's amazing! No definite plans on fish yet... I'll will be researching during my cycling process... There are lots that I like and want but I can't have them all ;) I got it for 75 and she's delivering it for a little gas Money because I have a small car ...
I will post pics:) um idk how to do live plants are they hard to care for ? I. Have a lot to learn... So can I possibly keep my pleco ??? He he please say yes :) lol

Lol homedog u know you are excited too :)

Here's the pic they sent me :)

Attachments

• image-1571383886.jpg
    image-1571383886.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 68
Not bad right ?? The stand looks huge... I may have to get rid of my couch... Lol

Welcome to the 55 Gallon Club! :D

That's an excellent deal on the tank btw! I got mine off of Craigslist too and I paid $100 and the guy even delivered it for free. Gotta love the CL deals! So far it has been one of the best investments I've ever made!

Oh and if you need any design or stocking ideas, I have lots of pics in my profile album. Feel free to peruse. ;)

Enjoy your new tank! (y)

I know it's amazing! No definite plans on fish yet... I'll will be researching during my cycling process... There are lots that I like and want but I can't have them all ;) I got it for 75 and she's delivering it for a little gas Money because I have a small car ...
I will post pics:) um idk how to do live plants are they hard to care for ? I. Have a lot to learn... So can I possibly keep my pleco ??? He he please say yes :) lol

Truth be told, yeah, you probably could keep it. It'll get pretty big though, so bear in mind, he's going to take up a lot of bioload and cut into your stocking options some... Some will also argue you need at least a 75G tank for one, but I personally am suggesting you bend the rules a bit. I was really hoping you'd have a means to keep him!

Plants can be easy or difficult, depending on the kind you get. In a 55G tank, you'll want to be sure you have adequate lighting. Some people will tell you you need a certain amount of Watts/Gallon. Don't buy into it. Watts are merely a measure of energy drawn, not light output.

Some relatively easy plants to have and maintain are Anacharis, which just feeds off the water table. It grows like a weed! And I also recommend an Amazon Sword, which tends to be quite hardy. I've never had to use CO2 or fertilizers with my plants, although I did just get some root tabs to boost their growth.

A moss ball is a cute addition too and rather easy to care for.

Lol@ joyler! I thought it was a good deal... I think I'll enjoy my options much better for a 55g and I hear that are actually easier to care for ... I was just browsing for decor ideas:) I'll check your album out...

I think I'll keep him for a while at least. Ill probably stick with the plastic kind for now.. Lol don't want to cram in to many new things at once... Maybe later I'll consider some real plants. They are pretty cool

Welcome to AA, the best place to begin this great hobby.
I wish I had known about it when I started. The learning is great and fast.
We ought to start a 55g craigslist thread. I also got our first 55g tank & stand, delivered and set up for $100.00.

Truth be told, if you just wanted to get yourself one anacharis, it'll grow and branch out on its own. Each time it branches, you can break that off and plant it around your tank and it too will grow. That way you won't have to cram a lot of new things in.

But if you feel you should stick to the fakes, they certainly are easier! And do add a nice aesthetic compared to not having anything at all.

Woot Woot for craigslist... Thats great!!! I think I better keep with the fakes for now;) can I add some real ones later when I get better at all of this?? I may later on ... If possible.

Back
Top Bottom