Once my tank finishes cycling...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im already beginning to debate on what fish I want to add. I'm beginning to think I may want some sort of bottom feeder/dweller since all
I have are my two platys and they are middle/top mainly. I don't think I want snails or shrimp... But I'm not totally against them either. I have a 10g that is currently in it's 4th week of cycling that just showed traces of nitrite a couple nights ago, gravel substrate and is moderately (heavily planted in one area) planted with fake plants. Suggestions?

Once Your Tank Cycles

Im already beginning to debate on what fish I want to add. I'm beginning to think I may want some sort of bottom feeder/dweller since all
I have are my two platys and they are middle/top mainly. I don't think I want snails or shrimp... But I'm not totally against them either. I have a 10g that is currently in it's 4th week of cycling that just showed traces of nitrite a couple nights ago, gravel substrate and is moderately (heavily planted in one area) planted with fake plants. Suggestions?

Hello Mrs...

Your tank is extremely small, so you shouldn't keep more than 5 or 6 small fish. Platys are big waste producers and those alone will keep you busy maintaining a safe water chemistry. I'd recommend just keeping the two fish for now, until you get the hang of maintaining the tank.

B

I have 2 platys in my cycling 15 gallon , and boy are they messy! They may very well be going back to the lfs after cycling, but they sure are cute.

I think I 'm going to go with some little corys, or maybe shrimp. I'm new at all this, but if I'm understanding correctly, shrimp are pretty light on the bio-load.

Looking forward to seeing what you choose!

Could not help but laugh at your conversation lol l have 2 platies in a community tank and they are 1 step up from a goldfish on waste producers !!! If you get a chance look at the dwarf gourami. They have beautiful blue and red color, only get about 3 inches long, and are very active top middle and bottom swimmers.

If you get a chance look at the dwarf gourami. They have beautiful blue and red color, only get about 3 inches long, and are very active top middle and bottom swimmers.

Considering the current stock of the tank, I would advise against a Dwarf Gourami. They need very clean water and since platys are so messy that would be hard to maintain.

I recommend some shrimp. There are many different types of shrimp out there! Red Cherry Shrimp, Black Bee shrimp, and Blue Rili shrimp are some of my favorites.

jetajockey said:
How are platys any more messy than other fish their size?

All mine seem to do is poop. But then again they always seem to beat the rest to the surface come feeding time !! I just don't ever see the other fish of the same size with the waste trail that they have.

Fedex3d said:
All mine seem to do is poop. But then again they always seem to beat the rest to the surface come feeding time !! I just don't ever see the other fish of the same size with the waste trail that they have.

Yup, mine too. Poop machines! It really shows up on my black sand. I looked in the other day and one had a poop so long it was attached to the filter sponge like an anchor! The little guy was just swimming there until he finally dropped it. So gross, but so funny!

cmybliss said:
Yup, mine too. Poop machines! It really shows up on my black sand. I looked in the other day and one had a poop so long it was attached to the filter sponge like an anchor! The little guy was just swimming there until he finally dropped it. So gross, but so funny!

Oh I've had many instances like this, I've watched my Micky mouse swim around in one area where plants stems kinda stuck out for the longest time until it dropped... I couldn't help but think how gross is that but i was laughing the whole time lol.

cmybliss said:

Mine usually swim around in the water like an airplane flying around with an advertisement banner flying behind it. But they are probably the biggest eaters in the tank also !! Just set up a new tank with black sand, do you like your black sand ?

Oh I've had many instances like this, I've watched my Micky mouse swim around in one area where plants stems kinda stuck out for the longest time until it dropped... I couldn't help but think how gross is that but i was laughing the whole time lol.

My almost 5 year old and I have spent much time marveling and discussing the length of the poop coming out of our platys. Gross yet fascinating at the same time, lol.

birdma said:
My almost 5 year old and I have spent much time marveling and discussing the length of the poop coming out of our platys. Gross yet fascinating at the same time, lol.

And I thought I was the only crazy one who noticed that platys seem to always have a long poop trail... Glad to know I'm not alone in noticing that little fact haha!

Mrs.h2012 said:
And I thought I was the only crazy one who noticed that platys seem to always have a long poop trail... Glad to know I'm not alone in noticing that little fact haha!

Haha no its not just you. Think anyone that has a platy has seen it at one time or another. As jetjockey said.... they may not be any more messy than any others, but it's much more noticeable with them !! IMO

Fedex3d said:
Mine usually swim around in the water like an airplane flying around with an advertisement banner flying behind it. But they are probably the biggest eaters in the tank also !! Just set up a new tank with black sand, do you like your black sand ?

Bwahahaha! This conversation just goes to show you're never too old for potty humor! (hey I work with kinders so I'm surrounded by it:-D)

I like the sand. It's very sharp looking. I think I'll like it even more once I get a background up and the tank planted. Right now I've just got a Chinese style pagoda/gazebo thing with a lone plastic plant. Very minimalist.

cmybliss said:
Bwahahaha! This conversation just goes to show you're never too old for potty humor! (hey I work with kinders so I'm surrounded by it:-D)

I like the sand. It's very sharp looking. I think I'll like it even more once I get a background up and the tank planted. Right now I've just got a Chinese style pagoda/gazebo thing with a lone plastic plant. Very minimalist.

I just setup a planted tank with black sand. Started a thread in planted tanks on it. Just waiting for it to settle and clear up.

Fedex3d said:
I just setup a planted tank with black sand. Started a thread in planted tanks on it. Just waiting for it to settle and clear up.

I'll have to check it out!

Back
Top Bottom