One Cardinal Tetra stuck to filter tube... dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon3000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys just thought I'd log in and get some advice... so as you guys know I have my aquarium up and started and it looked like my BB survived when I was bringing the aquarium to my house... I came home last night and couldn't find one of my cardinals. After searching for about 15 minutes, i found the tetra, dead and rotting, stuck to the filter tube that goes into the water... I have no idea what happened. My ammonia is 0, my PH is about 7.6, my nitrites are all at 0 and my nitrates are in between 10-15. I have no idea how this happened...
I have been noticing that my blue dwarf gourami has been showing a bit of 'chasing' behavior towards my rasboras and my tetras, but I'm not sure if this had anything to do with this cardinal's death. the cardinal was the biggest of the group and the brightest. I am really disappointed. I didn't think the gourami would display any aggressive behavior because the tank is very well understocked and it is a 75 gallon aquarium with plenty of hiding spots...
any ideas would be great.

Sometimes fish simply don't survive the stress of a move. If it were bullied to death, you surely would have seen nipped fins prior to death. Keep a close watch on the rest for signs of illness.

It was very weird because it's been roughly a week since I've gotten them :/.
What other signs should I be looking for. I did a water change last night and the neons/cardinals really lit up this morning. They are pretty mobile. At night, they tend to stick to the bottom towards the sand and not swim around too much, but like now for instance, they are all schooling together all around the tank.

Cardinals are generally wild caught, and often times have trouble adjusting to tank conditions. Being moved from one continent to the other doesn't help....

If you only lost one after adding them, I wouldn't be too worried. A former LFS used to quarantine them for a while before selling them to ensure that any weak ones were weeded out.

I once bought 10 neons at the same time and put them in my 30gallon. All but 3 died a day apart in pristine water and conditions. Some tetras are just really sensitive. I tend to avoid buying them now.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom