Open bottom or Upside down tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The tanks are small so maybe it wont influence as much as in bigger ones, but it wont hurt to take all the appropiate measures.

Anyone know if this would be necesary? Any ideas on how to install it given my current setup.

No, a water pump to circulate the water from the vertical to the horizontal tank to prevent stagnation. For a tank this size an air pump is not necesary, as I explained before once the water level goes up it stays there. I do it by sucking the air out with a plastic tube attached to a floating device. So as the air is sucked out (by my lungs) the water rises and the floation device allows the tip of the tube to be at the surface. So the issue is the neec for a water pump to circulate the water between both segments.

No, a water pump to circulate the water from the vertical to the horizontal tank to prevent stagnation. For a tank this size an air pump is not necesary, as I explained before once the water level goes up it stays there. I do it by sucking the air out with a plastic tube attached to a floating device. So as the air is sucked out (by my lungs) the water rises and the floation device allows the tip of the tube to be at the surface. So the issue is the neec for a water pump to circulate the water between both segments.

Ah, that makes sense. What about a power head? Wouldn't that help move the water from the tower to the main tank?

But where to install it? Inside the vertical tank? I was thinking of something like a small water drop outsidethe tank but Im still trying to think how to male it work. But yes the powerhead would be the easiest.

But where to install it? Inside the vertical tank? I was thinking of something like a small water drop outsidethe tank but Im still trying to think how to male it work. But yes the powerhead would be the easiest.

Just a though, but maybe at the base (open top at the bottom lol) of the tower and shoot it straight up on side/corner so it's pull water from the main tank, creating a current upwards that would then push it down the opposite side of the tower.

At least with a power head you could adjust the flow and move it around with relative ease.

Yes thats among the lines of what I initially though. Maybe i'll do that provisionally and later on add something more fancy looking. What kind of tank do you have?

Yes thats among the lines of what I initially though. Maybe i'll do that provisionally and later on add something more fancy looking. What kind of tank do you have?

Yeah, some power heads are pretty small (black finish) and with a setup that cool looking you don't want some big blob of whatever sticking out in the tower. Is this you first/only tank? Gotta say, you did a much nicer job compared to the ones popping up on google lol. You should make a video of it and post it on youtube.com

I have 2 1/2 tanks lol. A 37 with a pair of Moors and a black/silver Fancy Fantail (pics in my profile). An 8g with a Betta and a shoal of Cardinal Tetras plus some ghost shrimp. I just setup and on the first day of cycling a 29g (gonna be a) brackish tank that will be home to a pair of GSP (green spotted puffers). Oh and a 4g with some month old fry from the Moors, so almost 3 tanks.

Yes this is my first and only tank, I dont think I have enough space for a second tank, but at some point id like to upgrade to a bigger one 20-30gal range. Cause I've read that is the mínimum space for an adult goldfish. I like both the fish and plant keeping and the DIY aspect of it.

Wow almost 3 tanks that a lot of work how long have you had them for? Did you do it over the years or just started?

I might do a video when I finish the details on the lids.

Anyone out there intrested in undergoing a proyect such as this post here and i'll be happy to help you through in what I can. Also similar ideas, like conecting two tanks can be done with a U shaped vertical tank.

The reason that the youtube links don't work is because they're mobile links. note the "m.youtube..."

awesome idea man you got me thinking now i really want one off to the shop thanks and you did a great job on yours looks great if you find a way to circulate the water back into the main tank let me know please!! keep posting your updates

ryan-peddle said:
awesome idea man you got me thinking now i really want one off to the shop thanks and you did a great job on yours looks great if you find a way to circulate the water back into the main tank let me know please!! keep posting your updates

Yes, I'll be looking into that this weekend probably. By no means is this my idea, I saw some open bottom tanks on vídeos on Youtube and researched the subject. What kind of tank do you have, I'll be happy to help you out. Thanks for the comment I really like, but its nice to see other people appreciate it too. My goldfish loves it.

ive been researching on you tube too some are amazing i have lots but only two 10 gallons available right now i was kinda thinking of doing an aqua bridge which requires a vacuum seal for the bridge same as the upside down tank but iam gonna do more research before i make a decision yet this is soooo interesting to me

The concept is exactly the same as with the vertical tank, the displaced air leaves room for the water. In the case of the bridge id recommend having some kind of support in the middle if your planning on making it long and supports on the inside of each tank for the legs. Also if your going for lenght nothing less than 6mm glass.

i was thinking of going plexi and i was only thinking a 3' bridge think it would need a support also i was gonna put a pump in one tank pumping water into the second for circulation and to balance the tanks

Plexi is a good idea too, I dont have much experience handling it though. What I am sure is you can go more than 3" and the looks will pay out, just a suggestion. The circulation is crucial there and completely solved if its from obe to another cause the current will move the bridge water. Is this for a display room? Or just having some DIY fun, cause for a bridge some steps would add carácter to the design, just an idea that came to mind depends on your fish size too, because they'll need space to move in there.

Interesting concept. But I do have two questions.

1) How does that setup work when you need to do a PWC? The lip of the top tank has to always be below the water level of the bottom one or you'll end up with Niagra Falls in your living room, right? So what happens when you need to deliberately remove water to get the nitrAte levels down?

2) Wouldn't those tanks be a problem with homeowners/renters insurance? Granted, you don't typically have a walk-through when starting new insurance, but I would think that you invite more potential problems with that setup vs a standard tank.

I can't imagine that any rental property would allow upside-down tanks, no matter how well you try to explain it to them. Mine won't allow a tank over 55 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom