Oranda goldfish help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OrangeSadie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and to keeping fish. I have 2 goldfishes, one is an oranda (2.5 in) and the other is a fantail (3.5). They are both in a 10gal tank but I am currently investing in a 30 gal. My problem is that my oranda is losing his/her scales. I've had my oranda for several months now and I got my fantail about a week ago. When I introduced the fantail, I thought it was a bully until I realized that they could just be mating because it occasionally chases the oranda. However, I don't know what gender my fishes are so maybe my oranda is a female? So what I did was remove ALL my decorations, besides my plant, to prevent my oranda from scraping against anything. I wanted to put my decorations back until my fish got his/her scales back but that's not happening. My fish lost a few more scales and they're located in the middle of her body. This happened, way before I got my fantail, but the scales would come back. Also I've realized that my oranda has a red streak in her tail ( I heard this is bad) and his/her wen hasn't grown a bit. I look at the smaller orandas at petco and their wens are already growing. Whatever is wrong with my oranda, will it affect my fantail? I do weekly water changes with conditioned water and here is my parameters. (Btw, I did a water change today so I hope my parameters are accurate.)

PH- 8.0
Ammonia- 0-0.25 (maybe a bit closer to 0)
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 10 or 20 (since they look similar on the API test kit)

Your fish is probably becoming stunted. For 2 Goldfish try to get min 30, but 40g would be better. Big filters.

Check out SolidGold's goldfish vids on YouTube. She breeds show quality fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah 10 is way too small for multiple months. I would agree that 30 would be like the bare minimum. Also I would go way overboard with the filtration if you can afford it. goldfish are pigs and poop machines so they need alot of clean water.
With a 40g you might even be able to add a third but that might be pushing it.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom