Organic mulch for a dirt tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I want to dirt my tank an the cap with sand in my tank, but we have this new bag of mulch in the building that hasn't been opened yet. It's miracle grow organic potting mix. It has bark, fertilizer an potting soil in it an I was wondering if this would work

So, I want to dirt my tank an the cap with sand in my tank, but we have this new bag of mulch in the building that hasn't been opened yet. It's miracle grow organic potting mix. It has bark, fertilizer an potting soil in it an I was wondering if this would work

That works well, just try to sift out the large parts of mulch as they will rot.

Alright, cool. Do I need to rinse it like sand? I also, I'm resealing my 45 g so it will be going in that, but I also have fish that are currently living in a tub out of that tank. Why would be the best way to go about this.

Alright, cool. Do I need to rinse it like sand? I also, I'm resealing my 45 g so it will be going in that, but I also have fish that are currently living in a tub out of that tank. Why would be the best way to go about this.

Rinsing dirt doesn't go well for obvious reasons - the cap prevents it from clouding the water. I use sand as a dirt cap (you DO want to rinse that).

Once the silicone is done curing, add the dirt, dampen it, and add the cap. Then fill up the tank. Do try to remove as many air pockets from the substrate as possible, after you start filling it up.

Rinsing dirt doesn't go well for obvious reasons - the cap prevents it from clouding the water. I use sand as a dirt cap (you DO want to rinse that).

Once the silicone is done curing, add the dirt, dampen it, and add the cap. Then fill up the tank. Do try to remove as many air pockets from the substrate as possible, after you start filling it up.

I still have the sand from its first substrate, would that work an will this affect the fish in anyway, I would hate to loose some

I still have the sand from its first substrate, would that work an will this affect the fish in anyway, I would hate to loose some

Re-using the sand should not hurt the fish. The dirt may leech nutrients and cause small ammonia spikes the first few months, but adding a fast-growing plant such as wisteria will help. Also try to shorten the photoperiod to about 6 hours each day the first few months to help with potential algae issues.

Alright, thanks. I've been wanting to redo this tank for a while. I have amazon swords right now an I noticed that the roots where brown around the base, so I'm hoping this helps.

Alright, thanks. I've been wanting to redo this tank for a while. I have amazon swords right now an I noticed that the roots where brown around the base, so I'm hoping this helps.

I have found heavy root feeders particularly love dirt - however the effect does wear off in 3-4 months so you will eventually have to add root tabs.

Back
Top Bottom