Oto Diet???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't remember where it was; but I do remember reading that otos' mouths aren't strong enough to eat the green algae that builds up ? Is this true? I have algae that I have been 'saving' for them in my tank.

I feed mine blanched cucumber, shelled peas, algae wafers and whatever algae is growing in the tank. I bought 5 otos from petsmart maybe 2 months ago and haven't lost one.

The hard green algae is sometimes too tough for them. They will eat softer green algae though (the kind that you could rub off the glass/wood/rocks with your hand). Make sure you supplement with algae wafers, veggies, and even bottom feeder wafers/pellets occasionally. Mine will eat bottom feeder pellets that I put in for the Cories.

Last edited:
Do you think they will eat shrimp pellets? Also does petsmart sell the veggie clip things, or could I DMY with a clip of some sort? I probably can't use a metal one though huh?

They shouldn't be fed too high of a protein diet. I would suggest just letting them feed off of the algae in the tank and whatever leafy greens you have on hand, blanched. A rubber band a rock do the same thing as those clips. Nori is a favorite with otos also. If you're also patient I've had my otos eat right out of my hand. I held a few peas in my palm and they swam up to nibble. It's like hand feeding an animal at any petting zoo. I hand fed my Koi once the same way, took a bite at my finger and scared the devil out of me. Never doing that again haha.

I think they're supposed to be more effective for diatom algae, but most established tanks won't get this, unless you change substrate to like a silica based one.

My otos absolutely love diatoms. They'll eat other types of algae, but they don't scrub it off the glass very well. They won't touch the algae tabs I drop in either. The guppies love them, but the otos seem to prefer other food. They always have round little bellies, so I don't worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom