Oto + Goldfish. If ok, where to buy in Aust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarf

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, currently I have a 20g gf tank with 2 tankmates. One is 1.5" (max, won't stay still long enough to measure properly, lol) and the other smaller. I'm having quite an algae prob, esp with the fact the tank's back faces directly to my window which faces north, giving me a lot of daylight.

I'm considering introducing otos to my tank to try and help my prob. I've looked into compatability issues, and I've noticed it can be fairly hit and miss, with reports that gf have tried to eat oto's and died from them. However, generally this has coincided with the fact that they have large gf, and sometimes I ride my luck when it comes to fish, lol (haven't QT but all my fish have been fine, and been fine for about half a yr now with no deaths - tho will start QT'ing since converting an old tank to one)

In terms of temp, etc, plan to switch my temp to 74 degrees, intro driftwood to reduce pH (think high 7's atm), uhh.. what else is there?

What does every1 think abt it? Also, the algae I'm trying to get rid of looks like diatoms and green algae (description - dark drown hair-like strands that looks like a beard; small green spots and patches on my glass which is quite hard to scrub off), so would oto's be helpful in getting rid of them?

If every1 thinks it's ok, any1 know a place in Sydney that stocks them atm, and would recommend as they have less likelihood of carry diseases etc?

I can't really comment on the compatibility since I have no tried it. This is the chart I use:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/fwcompatibility_chart.cfm
You can see that there are only a few selections that mix with Fancy goldfish (cory cats/suckermouth, pleco's, and other fancies). I'm also not sure which "algae eater" would be best for you.

As far as compatibility because of eating, with fish only 1.5" long, you don't need to worry. Do note, however, that goldfish can get to be about 12" on average, but it will take several years.

Also, as far as temperature is concerned, 74F is no big deal for the goldfish. Even though they are a coldwater fish, they can take tropical temperatures (mine is at 78F).

If I am using that compatiblity chart, then wouldn't it be ok? I thought oto would be regarded as "suckmouth catfish"??

It may be okay for a while, but goldfish (especially the common/comet variety) have the potential of growing 2" per month when young and not stunted. Just know that your goldfish will grow larger and they will most likely try to eat the ottos. Same as with cory cats, when they goldfish swallow them, the barbels get caught in the goldies throat usually leading to the death of both fish. Reccomended algae eaters for goldies are bristlenose/rubbernose plecos. Another option would be a hillstream loach (sometimes called a Hong Kong pleco, Butterfly pleco, or Chinese pleco) or a True Siamese Algae Eater (Although these are hard to come by since there are so many look a likes out there to fool people).

I hope the goldies you have are fancies otherwise the algae breakout is due to not enough space. Common and Comet goldfish require atleast 20 gallons of water per fish compared to the 10 gallons per fancy goldfish. HTH

I'd have to say that you should be fine on the whole eating situation. You have two fancy golds in a 20 gal (which is pushing it when they get full size). Oto's get to be a couple of inches. In order for a fancy gold to fit this in their mouth, they would have to be at least 8" long.... but I would guess more like 10-12". In my experience with Koi ponds (that hold Koi, Shunbunkins, and comets), I've never lost a fish to a larger one eating it. Largest fish I've had has been a 16" Koi and the smallest (aside from feeders) was a comet that was about 4".

Also, if you feed goldies regularly, they get to know the schedule and don't seem to ever want to stray from that. I've had 2 fancy goldies in an outdoor whiskey barrel pond for a while now, which is planted with anacharis, hornwort, drawf lily, and water iris; most of which is a favorite for goldfish. Since I started my regular feeding schedule, I haven't noticed them eating at any of the plants.

Anyway, I would say go with a small pleco, but the only way you'll really know if an oto will work or not is to go ahead and get one.

No they are not comet or common gf. They are fancy. I accommodate my tank for the gf, not the other way around.

I was thinking about the "gf eating them" problem but thought I should be ok. Mine are only a ryukin and a fan. From memory, they only reach to around 6-8" max (respectively). With an oto being still about 1.5-2 inches, it would be an amazing feet for them to swallow them in.

Tho hmmmm.. in terms of those alternatives, I kinda like those hillstream loaches. However, I thought they would have the same problem as the pics I saw online were fairly small but I guess they seem too wide for the goldie to swallow them. What size do they grow to? Are they schoolers or loners?

I believe they grow to around 2" length wise and don't school. Their bodies are fairly camoflauge in natural surroundings and made for clinging to smooth surfaces where they eat algae. They also prefer a current although it isn't necessary. Whatever you end up choosing I hope things work out for yah.

Otos and goldfish don't mix! don't put em together! Otos are tropical fish and therefore require a tropical heated environment. Goldfish are coldwater fish and it can be fatal if they lived in tropical conditions.

For other algae-eating creatures you could try snails and shrimp. If it is glass, you could also get a magnetic algae scrubber.

I am not sure if shrimp and goldies are compatible either. To my knowledge the only shrimp that gets large enough for the full grown goldies to leave alone is the Wood Shrimp which isn't a very good algae eater. Snails on the other hand have proven to be rather good algae eaters although you have to be careful, some will also eat your plants and most need something to supplement their diet other than algae.

Yes oto's are indeed tropical and gf are classified as coldwater. I'm sure that otos should be able to handle the temp range between 74-79°F. Similiarly, I have read that goldfish can do fine in the low 70 ranges, to the extent that some fancy owners would recommend that they exist at 70-74.

All in all, many people have various opinions on what is the "ideal" temperature for these fish. Taking in all the literature, rather than using one conservative dogmatic viewpoint, these is a temperature range, albeit small, that the 2 fish appear to be able to co-exist in.

And cheers, thanks for the advice and the well-wishes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an advocate for mis-matching ANY living creature, but aside from suggested water temperatures, I don't see a valid reason that oto's and fancy golds can't co-exist. Like I said, my indoor Ryunkin lives at a constant 78F, and absolutely loves it from what I can tell. Your goldfish can handle the sub-tropical temperature of your oto easily. I say go for it. Put your temp at 74-78F, keep the tank clean, and you're fine. Only problem I forsee is tank size. (You're already pushing it with two golds in a 20 gal... I wouldn't put 2 in anything smaller than 29 gal).

If you do decide to get ottos make sure to get atleast 2 since they are a schooling fish, they also require a pal to replenish their stock of bacteria (by eating the feces of another otto) with which they digest algae. Some people have successfully kept ottos with goldfish, but in a few cases the goldies have tried to swallow them. Also I have heard that if starved or aggressive ottos will suck the slime coat off of goldfish just like common plecos. So if you do decide on ottos it would be best to make sure your goldie isn't aggressive (Or hungry enough to have a go at the otto) and that the ottos you get aren't aggressive (Or hungry enough to eat your goldies slime coat). I wish you luck with whatever you choose.

I guess its mainly because every1 has a different opinion of what temperature goldies should be kept at. With massive fluctuations from outdoor ponds, I would think the more important thing for them rather than temp is temp stability and water conditions. But that's just my opinion.

I'm aware that otos are schooling though I was unaware about why they need a pal. Thanks for informing me on that. And yes, through more reading of the oto/gf combo, I have noticed a lot more ppl mentioning mutual "attacking" of each other rather than peaceful coexistance.

Which is y I'm more inclined atm to go for the hillstream loach. Actually I've looked at pictures of them and I think they look really cool. Mentioned it b4 that I wanted them but in passing. Seeing if some FS around me have them. Thanks again for your input.

Back
Top Bottom